Help Learning 2B

Well we have some changes coming to our team this year, we have two infielders moving to the outfield possibly taking my spot, 1B is already set and our 2B isn’t playing this year so I thought I would try to learn 2B since the competition is open and it doesn’t hurt to be able to play more positions whether I play 2nd regularly or not.

Basically I need help with the double plays when the 2B has to pivot, I think I can take care of the rest. Is it best to step back, forward or to just straddle the base and then jump?

One more question, does 2B take cutoff duties for balls hit to CF or does the SS?

[quote=“Pustulio”]Well we have some changes coming to our team this year, we have two infielders moving to the outfield possibly taking my spot, 1B is already set and our 2B isn’t playing this year so I thought I would try to learn 2B since the competition is open and it doesn’t hurt to be able to play more positions whether I play 2nd regularly or not.

Basically I need help with the double plays when the 2B has to pivot, I think I can take care of the rest. Is it best to step back, forward or to just straddle the base and then jump?

One more question, does 2B take cutoff duties for balls hit to CF or does the SS?[/quote]

Don’t straddle and jump unless you really have to. The ideal situation is you time the SS throw just right and you can catch his throw while you are coming across the base, set your feet, and throw. The reason to step back is if you reach the base before the throw and the runner is sliding to the inside corner.

It depends, what my shortstop and I do is if it’s hit to him, i get right behind the bag, catch the ball, step on 2nd and throw in one fluid motion.

the shortstop gets the cut off when the ball is hit to left field to center field. the second basemen get the ball when it is hit in right field to center field.
since the shortstop is the captain of the infield, they get the majority of them if it is like dead center.

[quote=“Pustulio”]Well we have some changes coming to our team this year, we have two infielders moving to the outfield possibly taking my spot, 1B is already set and our 2B isn’t playing this year so I thought I would try to learn 2B since the competition is open and it doesn’t hurt to be able to play more positions whether I play 2nd regularly or not.

One more question, does 2B take cutoff duties for balls hit to CF or does the SS?[/quote]

My coaches tell me to step back when it’s hit to short, but you have to adjust on a errant throw.

When your getting the throw from 3rd you should use the step over.

Usually SS gets the cut from cnter, but if its hit to right center or around there you would get the cut