Help increasing velocity - lhp sidearm

I did not really chose to pitch sidearm, it just happened. I played first base from the age of 4 and did not pitch until the age of 14 when my middle school coach asked me to try and he liked what he saw. My parents have paid coaches to help me get better, but the ones I’ve had so far never had a sidearm before and all they say is as long as I can throw strikes I am fine, but I know that my pitching speed is still very low for my age (16 yr, 70mph). In this video I made some adjustments and I believe it helped increase it a little bit (3-5 miles sorry, don’t have a radar), but I know I can do better. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Well, I happen to be a righthanded sidearmer, but I imagine you can transfer what I’m about to tell you over to the other side. You need to increase your velocity by ramping up your overall speed in your delivery, and to this end I suggest you take a look at something the Yankees’ Big Three pitching rotation used to do: I call it “The Secret”. I learned this a long time ago when I was pitching, and what it is, in a nutshell, is getting your entire body involved in the process. You need to drive off the lower half, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion to create a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the shoulders and arm to the fingertips; in doing so you generate more power—and more speed—in your pitches and take a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder. Nowadays there are some drills you can do to this end; one of the best is the so-called “Hershiser” drill which aims at getting the hips fully involved, and there’s no special equipment, just a fence or a wall.
And being you’re a sidearmer you can take note of, and learn to use, the crossfire. This is a beautiful and lethal move that works only with that particular delivery, and when I picked it up—at age 13—I fell so in love with it that I ended up using it all the time. Adding this move will make your pitches virtually unhittable, and it can bolster your speed in the process. Let’s see now—you’re a southpaw, so you would go into your windup or the stretch, whichever applies, and instead of delivering directly to the plate you take a step toward first base, whip around and fire the ball in there from that angle. To the batter it looks as if the pitch is coming in there from first base, and it makes no difference whether he bats righty or lefty, a crossfired pitch will get him every time. Try it and see what it can do for you. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

I will try the drill and thank you so much for the information and for taking time to write back.

Google sidearm nation there’s a website complete with forum designed by a former Pro sidearmer might be worth looking into.