Help break down mechanics... Velocity just not there... Questions

I am 20 Years old RHP that Pitches at Northern State University. I want some help better understanding my mechanics, and also try to make some improvements to my mechanics to make a increase in velocity.

Noticed in your 3rd video post you stated it was first time back on the mound after an injury. Also noticed your reply to a post that throwing over the top bothered your arm. Just curious what type of injury, how long you were sidelined & if you just recently dropped your arm slot.

One thing I noticed is how early your arm is cocked when you are in windup. It’s not just starting to cock early–It’s fully vertical before any part of your stride foot is in contact with the ground. The video you have from stretch cuts off your arm, so I can’t tell if it’s the same situation.

Generally, having the arm up early (rushing) results in decreased arm speed at release because the arm is in pause mode until the lower half catches up. Hence the term rushing the arm.

You seem to have a strong front side, stabilize well on the front leg, and finish up and over the stride leg with good rotational energy for the upper half. The rushing is sapping your velocity.

Another thing that may help you maintain early balance through your leg lift would be starting with your pivot foot turned slightly away from the rubber. The turning and twisting you do during your lift, may trigger early hand break as a way to maintain balance. You really don’t want to be rotational over the rubber. If you start with that foot turned slightly forward (and don’t reset it during your step with the free foot–leave it angled), you won’t be able to twist as much to the rear and it may allow you to keep your hands together at least until your hip can begin to thrust forward. Also, if you can take your free foot even slightly behind the rubber during your step, it may help you generate earlier forward momentum and reduce the early rotational component that may be effecting your timing. Right now you step to the side if at all–which wouldn’t kill you if you didn’t have that Luis Tiant thing going on.

There are two ways to get your front hip forward: 1) thrust it out at the top of the lift with a slight movement back with the front foot at the same time you drive out with the pivot leg. 2) get your knee up and forward of the rubber as you begin the lift which will preset your front hip and rear leg angle.

The second way is easier to keep balance and delay the hand break. It’s more similar to stretch position leg action except done from the wind up. This is also why, in most cases, rushing is not as severe from the stretch.

It was my first time on a mound after pulling my Flexor Muscle, but thats not why it hurts to throw over the top. Its never really been comfortable to throw over the top. but back in 2008 I flipped a mountain bike and landed directly on my shoulder and elbow (First things to hit the ground) and hit rock tar. Didn’t end up going to the doctor, could really lift my arm for the first week and 2 weeks after that I had to pitch in state tourney. It started grinding and clicking when I tried to move to over top after that. I usually throw 3/4’s to sidearm but i’ve been bringing my elbow up higher and with getting separation in my shoulder and getting air under it and having my shoulder up high as well. Back to my Flexor muscle issue, I pulled it 3 weeks into last years college season and was out for about 6-7 months. about a month into the injury, i felt great, in southern minnesota playing RCTC, came in relief. coaches thought I was fine, so did I. 3rd pitch into the inning it pulled again with intense pain and I was out through the rest of the season and into the summer.

This was in the fall semester, I got injured in the spring semester in the same year. I’m hopefully going to be recording my next bullpen I throw to see where I am.