Help? 17 year old rightey

Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos][img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/superhockey/th_P1010906.jpg[/img

no comments from anyone at all?

well overall it looks very solid. Nice job of loading on your back leg, good front side stabilization. I can’t tell for sure about your seperation but it looks good from here. I wouldn’t change really anything unless you are having any control problems then tell us so we can look for something to fix. Your delivery kind of reminds me of Verlanders. I might pick up the tempo a bit from the windup, but if you are not having any problems then keep it.

i looked it over its pritty good but you seem to fall over alot to the first base side but if your not having control problems i wouldnt change anything its just if they put down a good push but on the 3rd base side right past the pitchers mound im not sure if you could get to it but that moreso the case for leftys then it is rightys

reminds me of bob gibson. he finished just like you do. you look to be good sized. keep throwing. if you have control trouble you can change things, but if you can throw strikes leave it alone.

I do have some control trouble yes. Mostly associated with balance and nerves i think though.
I look good sized? haha. I’m around 5 foot 11 and 150ish pounds and throw around 80.

There’s really nothing more I could change for it to be better? I’m really looking to improve my velocity and control.

Well can you tell us where you are consistently missing. If its just overall you feel off balance ifk what I would change. Don’t worry about velocity either, it will come. If you have good control, don’t change your delivery to gain more velocity.

[quote]I do have some control trouble yes. Mostly associated with balance and nerves i think though.
I look good sized? haha. I’m around 5 foot 11 and 150ish pounds and throw around 80.[/quote]

Well get on with a good conditioning and diet program to get yourself there.
Dusty is right, Gibby did fall off like that and if you have anywhere near his sort of success…stick with it man…(And get me some box seats…Bob and Denny McClain being the last two to be MVP and Cy Youngers)…maybe they will lower the mound for you.
I’m still thinking about your vids, you seem, abbreviated on your front side which seems to be the reason you fall off so significantly. Roger has given some outstanding descriptions of how to get to equal and opposite…or balanced…do a search and see what he’s said.

[quote=“jdfromfla”][quote]I do have some control trouble yes. Mostly associated with balance and nerves i think though.
I look good sized? haha. I’m around 5 foot 11 and 150ish pounds and throw around 80.[/quote]

Well get on with a good conditioning and diet program to get yourself there.
Dusty is right, Gibby did fall off like that and if you have anywhere near his sort of success…stick with it man…(And get me some box seats…Bob and Denny McClain being the last two to be MVP and Cy Youngers)…maybe they will lower the mound for you.
I’m still thinking about your vids, you seem, abbreviated on your front side which seems to be the reason you fall off so significantly. Roger has given some outstanding descriptions of how to get to equal and opposite…or balanced…do a search and see what he’s said.[/quote]

Do you think gaining the weight and getting stronger will help me get the velocity I need to succeed in the higher levels of baseball?

And what do you mean abbreviated? i will search in the morning since i am no such condition to od so now.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt. That said, it doesn’t mean stop improving your mechs. What I mean is immediately tucking the glove, or pulling unbalances trunk rotation, which makes keeping balance and hitting spots more of a challenge, get the glove out there and use momentum to take your chest to the glove. The better you control a stable presentation to the plate imo you find it easier to have the appearance of throwing harder (By having a release that is closer to the plate), with a less out of balance frame (Shoulders and chest) be able to locate much better and without all the minor unconcious body corrections you may find you increase your velocity (With a stronger, better conditioned body certainly, excluding any injury, pick up some mph)…you will also find you can go further with less fatigue because you are throwing the ball more efficiently.

As to the get to higher levels thing…your desire has to be great…so do your grades. I see no reason you can’t get mid-80’s if you continue to improve…but a very accurate mid 80’s with late movement should be a reasonable goal in the 2 summers and a school year you have left. Work hard, stay focused…Sr. year is full of distractions…Read Centerfields log or my old one if you want to get an idea of how it can go.

poor advice, if gaining velocity is the goal.

Lanky would you honestly sacrifice control for velocity? If that is so, then that is poor advice. I would rather be throwing 80 mph and have good control, then be throwing 90 and can’t spot the ball worth a lick. Every single pitcher in the hall of fame have at least one thing in common: control. The only person who got in basically because of pure stuff was Nolan Ryan yes he had longitivity and strikeouts but he also walked a lot of people, but he had once in a generation talent. Now yes every hard throwing pitcher had intent to throw hard, but as they age they recognize the fact that control is so much more important. Now throwing the crap out of the ball is fine in longtoss and OFF THE MOUND. That would be a time when velocity is more important then control, but never on the mound.
If 3and0 is having control problems, then he needs to fix something in his delivery. Once he fixes it and he no longer has issues with his control, why mess with it. Even if he gains 3-4 mph by looking to gain velocity, then he will likely get out of whack with his mechanics and/or hurt himself.

I usually miss high and outside.

I bet :shock:
Another thing about that out of balance thing…don’t blow your timing. The trick is to get all of that mo to go to the plate at the right spot, if your entire frame is rotating towards 1st, guess where letting it loose too soon is going to go???..go ahead think about it…
Now release point timing issues with an aspect that follows through to the plate would be up or down…generally in the area where your momentum is going, location wise.

Im kind of curious which side of the mound you line up on? Because it looks like you line up in the middle. Because if your having trouble missing high and outside (to same side hitters) then lining up closer to 3rd base would perhaps allow you to have better control.

On the left side of the mound.

And what if it doesn’t just come? You need to make getting to a decent velocity a priority, and then the control will come.

All of my coaches’ attitudes, until this year at least, were the same as yours is about velocity. Well that attitude didn’t get me anywhere. I was a 6’ 14 year old sitting 60mph until i woke up one day and realized “Hey, I’ve been waiting long enough for velocity to to come, and it hasn’t. I better start doing something instead of thinking control is going to open all the doors for me”.

I ended up gaining 15mph after busting my ass for 5 months. Sure control problems were there at first, but they eventually subsided after a few minor changes.

Bottom line is velocity>movement>control. Focus on that and you should be going somewhere.

What is it with young pitchers about being obsessed about velocity? It doesn’t matter how hard you throw if you throw it down the middle of the plate it will get smoked eventually. wwRHP if you read a single thing in my post, you would have seen that I said that focusing on velocity is fine OFF THE MOUND. That is when you should be gaining velocity in long toss and the weight room. Now I understand the “no excuses” nyman stuff and I honestly like that, but I don’t like how Nymans proteges are all about gaining velocity. Why wait to establish what you must have to succeed at a high level, control. Even if you have a 80 mph fastball, you can still be highly successful as we have seen with Jamie Moyer. Or lets say that you are like Zumaya and think oh the control will come, I guarentee that Zumaya is out of the majors by the time he is 32. He will eventually lose some velocity and once he gets down to the mid 90s he will be crushed, because he can’t control it.
Trust me I want to gain velocity too, but I have realized that velocity comes from working hard in the weight room and using long toss. I agree with you on the “no excuses” and the proactive approach and I like it. But just to clarify I meant that if you are having no control issues, why jeopardize the most important thing in pitching just to gain velocity. I think that velocity is gained through work OFF THE MOUND. By no means I meant to wait for velocity I simply meant to gain more velocity but not jeopardize control.

3and0, I might recommend trying out the right side of the mound that might force you to release the ball out in front more and help you with your control.