Hello

First post! :smiley:

I’m based Preston, UK where there isn’t a massive amount of baseball, but due to getting ESPN America free of charge through my cable provider I’ve been hooked on MLB since 2009.

At first I enjoyed watching the batters smash the ball out of the park, but by the 2009 World Series watching CC Sabbathia, Cole Hamels, Pedro Martinez, Cliff Lee etc… I’d decided the pitching is my favourite part of the game.

Three years on and I’ve just joined my local baseball team (local = 50 mile round trip - not many teams around here :S)

I’ve played cricket competitively since I was 9 years old (I’m 30 now) and whilst batting and fielding techniques are really different throwing techniques are pretty much identical (in fact modern day cricket coaches have started to borrow more and more from baseball textbooks in terms of throwing technique)

Anyway, had my first baseball session 5 weeks ago. Everyone seemed pretty impressed with the strength of my arm. Yesterday started to learn how to pitch (look, set, pitch) - loved it! Really chuffed that the coach seems to think there’s some pitching potential there. I’d love just the chance to play as a fielder, so if I get chance to pitch in a game at some point it will be a massive bonus!

Been lurking on here a few weeks now. Obviously the standard in the states is higher than over here and I’m still getting my head around a lot of the technical terms and lingo, but hoping, even as a complete novice, that I can still learn from the forum.

Welcome to the boards!

You’ll find a vast wealth of information not just on the forum but on Stevens whole site that will benefit you.

All the best and I look forward to seeing you around the board’s.

Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to the Fellowship of the Bump! Nice to have you with us. :slight_smile: