Head in the same spot at top of knee lift vs moving forward

If you notice Tim Lincecum at the top of the video clips section, his head is moving forward as he lifts his knee for the leg kick. Justin Verlander and Greg Maddux do this as well.

Danny Haren, Mariano Rivera (as seen in viceo clip setcion), and Jon papelbon keep their heads in the same spot as they go into leg lift.

I know alot of more and more people are coming to think that creating ‘tempo’ is a more productive way rather than being balanced. What does it aid with? Are there any studies done to prove tempo is a better alternative?

T further understand the differences, check this link showing a video comparison

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/tim-lincecum-sinkbeil-balance-points/

the critical thing in my opinion is at some point in the delivery after leg lift, the hips get in front of the head and shoulders as the pitcher moves toward the plate in the vast majority of pitchers who throw hard and remain healthy. leading with the head and shoulders and never allowing the lower body a chance to release the torque and tension built up during the windup (or set position) is a huge problem and misunderstanding in amateur baseball. i firmly believe this is a must teach to remain healthy under large workloads.

at the same time you can’t “stay back” too long, kill tempo and throw uphill.

How do you find the balance between the two? Achieving the > you talk about but having a fast tempo as well (sandy koufax did both, so it’s clearly possible). More importantly, how do you teach the timing of the teeter totter/shoulder tilt/whatever you want to call it.

i teach it by rolling the back or post leg knee into a knocked knee position. you let it flex a little bit which is a good athletic position. if that knee moves at the same time the hips go forward and the shoulders tilt (if you tilt), you won’t stall at the top of your wind up.

if you keep that back knee straight and/or your back foot is not wedged properly with the ball of the foot against the front edge of the rubber, you are right; you will likely stall and lose all the momentum and leverage you are trying to build up.

koufax talks about this extensively in his book a lefty’s legacy. since you are left handed, you can buy this used on the barnes and noble website for about $2-$3. he explains it so well. good question. you are thinking properly about your mechanics.

the other critical thing is getting your body over and then in front of that front leg to throw. that takes some strength and effort. pitching effectively with leverage is not easy.

I agree with this except I’d say the hips ought to get in front of the head and shoulders during leg lift - not after.

as long as it happens without stalling or breaking the momentum chain you’re good. the guy that comes up and stops is hearon, but he can really throw. works for him.