Having Cut fastball problems

I need help with the cut fastball( I have been recently trying to learn this pitch) I just thought it would be a good pitch to learn because I already have a good 2-seamer. On my good days it’s Bartolo Colon like. I already have a splitter , a circle, and a knucklecurve in the repetoire. I figured the addition would work out well.

The problem that I am facing is that the break is inconsitant, and when it does break it sails away. Replies would be greatly appreciated.

(first post 8) )

Does it ever fly high. I throw a cutter. But i don’t have a lot of pitches like you. I throw a 4 seam and a pretty good 2 seam that I’ve thrown so much i can consistintly throw it on the inside corner to a righty. I also throw a cirlce change. I went with the cutter b/c i had an offspeed pitch and i also had 2 kinds of fastballs. I figured i could use a pitch that moved with good speed. Plus they all have the same mechanics coming out of your arm.

Sometimes when i first throw my cutter it goes high along with my 2seam. I’m not sure why but the first pitch for both are very high. Then they even out. The key is to focus on the same mechanics. You don’t want to turn your hand like a curve making it a slider. I had that problem and got very nasty pains in my shoulder. Now I just focus on my arm getting up then going strait down to the left side of my body just like my fastball. This is how it will get to be effective. It has to be the same as your fastball. If you can locate it good it will be a good pitch. But it looks like you throw too many pitches to even master this pitch.

Does it ever fly high. I throw a cutter. But i don’t have a lot of pitches like you. I throw a 4 seam and a pretty good 2 seam that I’ve thrown so much i can consistently throw it on the inside corner to a righty. I also throw a circle change. I went with the cutter b/c i had an off speed pitch and i also had 2 kinds of fastballs. I figured i could use a pitch that moved with good speed. Plus they all have the same mechanics coming out of your arm.

Sometimes when i first throw my cutter it goes high along with my 2seam. I’m not sure why but the first pitch for both are very high. Then they even out. The key is to focus on the same mechanics. You don’t want to turn your hand like a curve making it a slider. I had that problem and got very nasty pains in my shoulder. Now I just focus on my arm getting up then going strait down to the left side of my body just like my fastball. This is how it will get to be effective. It has to be the same as your fastball. If you can locate it good it will be a good pitch. But it looks like you throw too many pitches to even master this pitch.

of the pitches mentioned, which would you take out of my repetoire? I’m leaning toward the circle because my splitter can serve as my change up I guess.

Well how old are you and how big are your fingers. You need some big fingers to throw a good splitter.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

5’8 to 5’9, 14 years old, 130 lbs(having problems keeping weight) and my fingers are 4 and about 3/4 inches long

Well your an inch taller than me and i have 9 pounds on ya and same age well i turn 15 in a week. I’m not sure about finger size. Well its hard to say what you should cut your pitches down to. You should use your most accurate and effective. It’s really up to you. Knucklecurve is a hard pitch so i really wouldn’t recommend it. I’d master the 2 fastball and then the changeup. If you have those down maby splitter it seems hard with your finger size. I’d go with those pitches first then if it were me I’d go with the cutter. At your age you don’t even need that many pitches. I don’t use my cutter that much b/c its least accurate. I go with 2 seam inside a lot then my fourseam outside and my circle low and away.

Yeah I heard that before about the knucklecurve, but I usually use when I see some kids looking like they are completely geared up for the fastball, and thats when I bust them with it. I wouldn’t throw the splitter because I would rather not give them any extra looks at, and I wouldn’t throw my circle because I am still getting used to it

Have you tried a regular curveball?? I would try that first see how it goes.

Perfect the pitches you have particularly the c change.

I tried reg curve, wasn’t that great, and I’ve been recently working on the circle, everything else is about good.