Have you ever intentionally thrown at a batter?

Not promoting it, just want to discuss it because it’s a part of the game at the upper levels (college and pro ball).

Definitely becomes a part of the game once players reach the college level. I dont really condone it at levels lower than that. I would agree that there is a time and a place for hitting batters.

As situations develop in games, I think there is a psychological aspect to protecting your hitters by making sure the other pitcher knows his hitters will have that behavior reciprocated.

Oh ya! Never at their head but in the legs so they don’t wanna steal when I hit them.

2 times, both called from the dugout. Hit one guy in the back, missed one guy. Got thrown out of one of the game. Both in pro ball. Got fined for missing the guy in pro ball.

up and in is the most effective ball I think that you can throw because you get into the batters head that he might get hurt with the baseball. You can throw anywhere you want after that, for the most part.

guys that talk a lot crap deserve to get hit, and they do :wink:

[quote=“MrLee”]
guys that talk a lot crap deserve to get hit, and they do :wink:[/quote]

couldnt agree more

Twice. Once when the kid pointed his bat right at me like he was calling his shot. The second time was when the guy walked really slowly and cocky into the box.

I gotta say, the “bat flip” at the plate after hitting the dinger is an automatic in my mind on the next at bat if I’m the coach, unless it’s going to cost you the game. Kinda kin to sliding into second with cleats high on my SS or second bagger. Since I played there I’m a little sensitive about that.

Our high school coach played college ball and he’s relatively young. The opposing catcher “flipped the dugout off” on his way to first after hitting a dinger. His next at bat, Dinoson got the order and threw the first pitch behind his back. The second one went right in the rib cage. You’ve heard that dull “thud” sound before. I know it had to hurt.

I just wish everyone played with enough respect to make it all unecessary. We always thought beating the pants off the team was enough, we didn’t have to rub it in with all the showmanship.

Yes, absolutely…but always missed. Crazy as it sounds, it’s not that easy…regardless, the real intent is to get it close anyway…no reason to give up a free base.

Can someone please clarify “protecting your hitters”? I think I know what it means, but I just wanted to hear what you all have to say about it.

I don’t throw hard enough to make it hurt.

What I do is I strike them out.
Fastball, 2 inches off the plate, 0-1
Slow curve, foul ball/take/swing and miss, 0-2
Fastball, 6 inches off the plate, 1-2
Hard curve in the dirt, K

Only once during a high school game. I thought that I had been given the sign to hit the guy and when I went into the dugout, the coach asked me what happened to my control. I looked at him a little confused and asked, “I thought you told me to hit the guy?” He laughed and told me that I had misinterpreted it XD

If you hit my catcher and there’s no DH on your team, watch out.

You dont want the opposing pitcher thinking its ok to bully your batters around by throwing up and in and throwing at them to try and intimidate them, so you bean one of their hitters so that they know you mean businesss. Called protecting your hitters, is this what you were thinking?

i have but i find it alot more effective if you hit batters and dont let them know you ment to. when i hit someone i usually shake my head in disappointment because id rather strike em out. what i started realizing its way more effective because now the batters think you cant control whether you hit them or not and it makes them more uncomfortable in the box.

You dont want the opposing pitcher thinking its ok to bully your batters around by throwing up and in and throwing at them to try and intimidate them, so you bean one of their hitters so that they know you mean businesss. Called protecting your hitters, is this what you were thinking?[/quote]
Yup thank you.

Like Dino said, cleat high into 2nd or 3rd is a no-no from me. B.S. like rubbing it in after a shot, audible trash talk in the dugout, or throwing at my guys is also uncalled for and deserves a broken rib.

No, I have never had occasion to throw right at a batter, simply because I did not want to give him a free pass to first base, and that’s what happens when a batter gets hit by a pitch. What I used to do—if I saw that the batter was crowding the plate, I interpreted that to mean that he was looking for something outside that he could hit to the opposite field. Okay. I’d give him something outside—and out of the strike zone, just enough so that if he went after it the best he could do would be to foul it off. I often did that with the slip pitch, and it was a real kick to watch him either miss it or foul it back to the screen. Then I’d come in there with a crossfire pitch, usually the slider, and back to the dugout he would go, mumbling all sorts of invectives and imprecations to himself. :slight_smile: 8)

I play in an MSBL league in California and a couple years ago a guy hit one out off of me. No big deal I left a ball up. But I turn around after watching it clear the fence to ask for a ball from the ump and the guy is barely a few steps out of the box then proceeds to take a Cecil Fielder slow trot around the bases.

Next AB… plunked on the first pitch.

yes, on multiple occasions. The 6 inches on wither side of the plate are mine, if you take them away, i buzz you with one