Happened last night

This happened last night in our high school game, runner on first base, the batter hits a pop up down the right field line, our right fielder dives and the ball goes of his mitt, the runner stays on first and the batter doesn’t even run it out (its clearly foul) the right fielder is hurt and time is called, well after our right fielder gets up the ump says it was a fair ball! the batters still at home and runners still on first , we threw the ball to second base to force out the runner ( he’s still standing on first ) well, then all heck broke out , at first the umps let the guy on first go to second and the batter go to first since time had been called, but after some yelling from our coach they called the guy at second out, guess what happened next, you guessed it the other coach comes out and does his yelling, this goes on for 15 min. the umps are clearly frazzled at this point, kids, coaches, fans yelling at them all at the same time. The final call was the runner was out at second and batter was awarded first. I’m just curious as to what the correct call should have been, I know time should not have been called by the umps when the ball was still live but it was. What should have happened or did they get it right.

This is usually the case from my experiences:
The ball is hit down the right field line, the home plate umpire has the call as to fair or foul — remember ALONG THE FIRST BASE LINE … so, from your description of events, when you say " it was clearly foul… I’m assuming that the home plate umpire would make th call … fair or foul.

Now usually when a ball is foul, the umpire in this case . running down the first base line, would hold up his arm and point to the foul side of the first base side and over and over yell…" FOUL … FOUL…" If it was determined in the home plate umpire’s opinion that the ball was fair, he/she wouldn’t say a thing, he/she would just point in the direction of the infield and indicate “fair ball” but wouldn’t have to say fair.

So, some how in betwix-n-between this plate umpire should’ve made the call one way or the other as soon as the ball was tip’d and not caught. (I’m assuming the ball wasn’t caught.) Usually an umpire will not make a fair or foul call if he/she sees a fielder making a pretty good effort to catch the ball … that’s so he/she doesn’t have to say and point “foul”, then ASAP signal “catch”, or “no catch”, then “foul”.

The runner on first didn’t run, nor did the batter - because they were both under the impression the ball was foul … but … the runner on first was thinking as he should … a foul ball caught, and not drop’d, can be run on, if the base runner thinks he can make it … which in this case it seems as though he didn’t. But, the batter should have made some effort to at least take a few steps in the direction of first… just in case.

Why the call “fair” was made is only a guess… but I can appreciate the call of “time” because of the youngster getting hurt… that’s reasonable. Too bad everything that followed was not. So, in an effort to recoup themselves, the umpires tried to use their best judgement … making up for everything else … and set the universe right.

If I were you, I’d sit back, let the planets get back in orbit and continue with the game… and life itself. Amateur baseball is run by amateurs, played by amateurs, officiated by amateurs. The coaches should have understood this and let it go. On the other hand, getting all worked up about a mistake, errors in judgement, and so on, from part-timers in the umpire business is not only lacking in maturity, but it sets a poor example for the young men and women that look up to these coaches as role modes and examples to follow.

And before someone asks me … Well suppose it was you coach… I would have … and I had … been in spots like this. When I understood the larger picture and acted like the adult I am, life when on and things righted themselves up. When I acted less so, the only thing I got was high blood pressure and an empty folding chair in the pen, a space in the dugout - that helped no one.

Coach B.