Hanging Up The Cleats

Hey LTP Forum,

I haven’t been around the forums much lately…I blame the hectic college baseball life and school in general.

Anyways, a few days ago I made the very hard decision to hang up my cleats. As some of you may know, I tore my labrum last April and chose to take the physical therapy route rather than surgery. Well, the PT worked and I was healthy through the fall and winter, however once spring ball started at school, I soon found my arm showing many of the same symptoms of when I tore my labrum last year.

Because I did not have surgery, the tear was and always will be in my shoulder. I felt that taking the necessary time off to let it heal again would not be a very smart move as a freshman in college. I decided to take the time I spend in baseball and invest it in other things. I want to get involved on campus in other ways…fraternity, business club, etc etc, hopefully holding leadership positions in these organizations.

It was a very hard decision, but I realize that there is life after baseball. I was not happy in my current situation, and the point of Division III baseball is to have fun playing…I was not. I was frustrated with no good options ahead of me other than to stop playing. I will still play for my summer team, as it is less competitive and just for fun, however my competitive days of pitching are over.

I still love baseball and will still be around the forums.

Best of luck to you all, and just remember to enjoy every pitch of every game…you don’t know when it will be your last.

Sorry to hear that my man, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hi Augie Pitcher,
I know what you mean. There comes a time in every player’s life when he knows it’s time to hang it up, to pull the pin, whatever. I was forced to stop playing when my work schedule caught up with me and I lost my free weekends—but oh, the good memories I had and still have, many decades later. And, like you, I’m still crazy in love with the game, and even though I no longer play I can still contribute my fifty cents’ worth of advice and what-not. All the best to you. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Well Augie, I’m glad to see that you made a decision that wise to you and that you did what YOU wanted.

I wish you success throughout the rest of your life.

Welcome to the world of coaching! :cap:

And good luck with your other school activities.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I will stay play ball, just not in a competitive league…until I can coach my kids one day…then the competitiveness will be back! :lol:

My dad told me he had more fun playing competitive slow pitch softball than playing baseball, maybe you’ll have to give that a whirl.

But stay away from that wussie coed crap.

sorry to hear but its gotta happen some time

Sorry to hear that you’re leaving the game you love. I probably wouldn’t have done surgery either as a freshman. Good to hear that you are moving on and becoming forward thinking by getting involved in biz club and other organizations.

Sorry to hear about that AugiePitcher, what about college are you finishing your degree? You know there are many of us out here that played 4-5 years of college whatever (my case D1 football) finished our degree and never looked back at our sport again. Make sure you finish the degree…