Hanging Slider

I’ve just started to try to throw a slider but for some reason it seems to have no sideways movement as far as I can tell. It just seems to hang.

I ‘m not sure why this is the case cos’ I’m sure I’m getting a lot of spin on the ball and the axis of spin is vertical (ie. it spins like the Earth or like one of those little spinning-top toys).

What might be some of the reasons I can’t see any sideways movemetn on my slider? I would appreciate any ideas anyone could offer. Cheers.

[quote=“The Schwever”] I ‘m not sure why this is the case cos’ I’m sure I’m getting a lot of spin on the ball and the axis of spin is vertical (ie. it spins like the Earth or like one of those little spinning-top toys).
movemetn on my slider? [/quote]

There’s your problem. A slider should not be spinning on a vertical axis. It should have a spin similar to how a bullet spins out of a gun or how a football spirals. The person catching you should be able to see a dot that the seams form when the slider is thrown correctly. Perhaps you should review how a slider is correctly thrown. The way that you are throwing it now is ineffective and is actually putting stress on your arm.

How old are you? If you not in late highschool ball, you probably should not be throwing it. Do you have command of your curve? Can you keep both pitches straight in your own mind so they do not blend into a slurve?

I keep them straight by throwing my slider off my index finger and my curve off my third finger, Ian.