Handling pitchers

Hi! I am going to take a little different road here, so please be patient. My son is a freshman catcher and is the starting catcher for the Jv in his highschool. His four year goal is to be a better catcher in two areas. He wants to be able to handle his pitchers as best as he can and he wants to call his own game. Ok, what do you find helps you out there when you are in trouble ( your’re not hitting your locations, you’re out of you zone, you have lost control of a particular pitch) What do you need form your catcher to help you. When he goes to the mound, what helps you get back in the groove. Does talking to you in the dugout between innings help?

As regards to calling his own game, while this is the coaches decision, what do you as a pitcher look for or need form your catcher to have good chemistry between you during a game. I know this is more art than science and don’t expect a step by stap approach (I don’t think there is one), any thoughts from your experience would be helpful both for the catcher and the pitcher.

Finally, during your bullpen before a game or during a practice, what can a catcher do to help make that time better and moe productive?

I think that the most important thing is knowing a pitcher inside and out. He should know all the pitches, what action they have when the pitcher is htrowing well and when the pitcher is struggling. He should know what pitch the pitcher is most comfortable with, what pitch the pitcher is most likely to go with when in a tough spot. They should talk before the game about the hitters if they know anyhting about them and what the pitcher wants do do against them. As they say knowledge is power.

A catcher can help me when he knows me. In babe ruth i know the catchers on my team and when i’m in a slump with pitching they will do things like make me throw very inside if i keep throwing outside. when i miss high they make me throw one in the dirt and they always tell me when to do a pick off move. in between innings they jokwe around about the bad pitches n before the next inning starts (if i’m still pitching) they say what they thought the nice pitches were to i guess help my confidence. i hope this helps in some way, probably not but i hope it does.

To handle pitchers a catcher has to first know the pitcher. He has to know what his pitcher likes to throw and when he likes to throw them. It also helps to know them off the field. When an inning is over a catcher should be able to have a friendly conversation with the pitcher. He should be able to talk with him about what happened in the previous inning and what he wants to happen in the next one. As for calling a game, a catcher has to know hte pitcher AND the batter. You not only need to know what your pitcher likes to throw, but also what the batter likes to hit. If he’s a dead pull hitter you probably wouldn’t want your pitcher throwing a fastball inside. But what if he likes throwing inside? The catcher and pitcher should both be on the same page. But since your in highschool playing other cities you might not know what type of hitter the kids are. Start by looking at their swing. Is he open or closed? Is he far from or close to the plate? Does he swing late or early? Once again, the catcher and pitcher must always be on the same page.

Hi Guys. Thanks for the timely tips. My son played his JV game last night (3/27). I had told him about what you had said. He told me that in between innings, he asked his pitcher what to look for when his pitcher was in trouble. The pitcher said to look for his release point. Just the fact that he talked to his pitcher in between innings and got some useful info is a geat step for him to be a better catcher and to help his pichers. They won 7-1. GREAT STUFF!!!

Nice conversation on this.

I agree with the get to know the pitcher threads.

If you wait until during a game it is too late.

ask the pitcher a lot of questions way before the game, like at the start of a season.

What can I do that helps you when you are pitching? What do you like that I do? What do you wish I’d do more of? What do you wish I’d do less of? What happens to you when you start to lose it? What should I look for? What would you like me to remind you of? What should I do if you seem upset?

Armed with those answers what to do will come easy.

Tom

the main thing is for the catcher is too command respect from the pitchers. nobody wants someone telling them how to do something that they dont respect. Also when the pitcher respects the catcher the catcher can do a lot of other things like how my catcher in high school was someone who i looked up 2 he would come out when i was struggling and give me a lil crap and then make a joke. it would always calm me down and take my mind off of what was going on. when he gave me crap although people are prolly thinkin well why would u want someone to give u crap when ur strugglin? it was how we were and i knew it was just his way of saying hey relax and throw.

It definatly helps for the catcher to know his pitcher, because if you dont then you mine as well be catching blind.