Hand size

Is hand size a factor when it comes to velocity?

About 15 years ago, I had the opportunity to ask Jim Parmer that very question. He laughed, and so did the other 4 ex-ml pitchers who were within earshot. None gave a reason why they felt the way they did, but they all laughed equally hard.

The reason I asked, was when we shook hands, I couldn’t help but notice how huge his hand was, and how long his fingers were, compared to my “ordinary” paw. Other than a few extraordinary guys like Andre the Giant and Wilt Chamberlain, Palmer was the only guy of relatively “normal” size, other than Sam Snead, who’s hands were so big compared to mine. So while I never studied it, I just accepted that it didn’t make any difference. :wink:

I’ve heard of smaller hands causing you to maybe get a little less out of your breaking balls, but I can’t think of any reason that they would make your fastball slower :?:

I don’t think so. I guess if you have long fingers it may affect velocity slightly but not noticeably.

It shouldn’t make a lot of difference. except that if a pitcher has a small hand and shorter fingers he should stay away from pitches like the forkball. The grip would put tremendous strain on the hand, arm and shoulder. 8)

I would think that having longer fingers might help with getting better rotation on breaking balls and also help to grip change ups, splitters and even forkballs.

It doesn’'t matter when talking about velocity. Nolan Ryan says in his pitching bible that he had small/ordinary sized hands, and he was one of the hardest throwers to ever play in the MLB. If you are having trouble with your hands being too small while throwing a fastball, choke up more on the ball, as in holding it further towards the palm. This way you will get more extension with your fingers when throwing it.