Hand Eye Coordination

As most of you may know, I am also a catcher. I want to improve my hitting and fielding next year. Hand-eye coordination will surely help. I am pretty good with the stick in my hands, but I want to get better. I think I need to improve my eyes the most. Does anybody know how to improve vision and/or hand-eye coordination??

To improve your hitting skills - START YOUR STRIDE TOWARDS THE PITCH, GENTLY, JUST BEFORE THE PITCHER RELEASES THE BALL.

One of the most progressive “arts” to coach a real talented pitcher is to start a tempo that the batter will fall prey to. In other words, a timing that the batter will become entrenched with, especially with his/her attention span.

So, here’s some suggestions. If you’ve been given the “hit away”, or you’re going to “hit for yourself”, let your eyes focus on the pitchers belt-line. Do not look at his face. Do not look at his total body in abstract as he goes through his delivery motion(s). Focus on his belt-line.

As your peripheral vision picks up his release, start to slowly stride forward like you would do when trying to hit the ball. Now and only then, pickup the ball with your eyes.

More often than not, you’ll have a better quality at bat, you won’t be susceptible to the off-speed, you won’t get caught swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, nor will you be fooled by the curve or slider that’s just not hittable and out of the zone.

On the other hand, if your pitching, start a smooth even tempo to your delivery and set up batters to your beat (timing).

This stuff works well when you can appreciate the fine tuning of your craft.

Coach B.

It had long been thought that Yogi Berra was the best “bad ball” hitter in the majors. But here’s what Ted Williams, himself no slouch, had to say about this. He pointed out that Yogi was the kind of hitter who would go after any pitch he felt he could get a piece of, no matter where it was, and get at least a double out of it, because his hand-eye coordination was nothing short of incredible. It didn’t matter where the pitch was; in fact, it was said about him that the only way to pitch to him was to throw the ball under the plate! :slight_smile: 8)

Take batting practice in dim light.

Hit three different colored balls. White, green and red. Take when it is red / hit away when it is green / bunt when it is white.

[quote=“Dino”]Take batting practice in dim light.

Hit three different colored balls. White, green and red. Take when it is red / hit away when it is green / bunt when it is white.[/quote]

this sounds llike a great drill… wish i would have done it in high school before i was designated just a pitcher.

How dim? Are you thinking dusk, or like 8pm??