Hall of Fame : Pick One

Of the pitchers on the 2007 Hall of Fame ballot which deserves it most?

Bert Blyleven
Rich “Goose” Gossage
Orel Hershiser
Tommy John
Jack Morris
Bret Saberhagen
Lee Smith
Bobby Witt

I got to go with my man Lee Smith, awsome closer and former St. Louis Cardinal :smiley:

Bert Blyleven
Rich “Goose” Gossage

Bert Blyleven
Rich “Goose” Gossage

[quote=“Dino”]Of the pitchers on the 2007 Hall of Fame ballot which deserves it most?

Bert Blyleven
Rich “Goose” Gossage
Orel Hershiser
Tommy John
Jack Morris
Bret Saberhagen
Lee Smith
Bobby Witt[/quote]
Bret Saberhagen :lol:

Lee Smith, but it’s probably not going to happen. Who’s got the best shot?

At first glance I thought Hershiser, without a doubt.

Then I checked out his stats, and he doesn’t cut it.

Jack Morris was GREAT, but he never had an ERA under 3.

Best Shot

Bert Blyleven

or

Tommy John - he’s running out of time and if it wasn’t for him ulnar collateral replacement surgery would be known as Brent Strom : :slight_smile:

Well I would like to personally thank Tommy John for having the surgery, being a recipeint of it he has allowed me to further my career

2nd

I would like to see Hersheiser make it, just to show people you don’t need to be 92-96 to make it to the hall. Not real knowledgable on Blylevin, but from the stats he seems to have a great shot.

Random 2nd question.

Does McGwire deserve a shot? There has been a big thing on ESPN about him for the last week. I personally say yes, because what he did when he did it, it was LEGAL for him to do so. So he broke no rules.

Anyway just wanted to see what the opinions were out there.

[quote=“RTusk40”]
2nd

I would like to see Hersheiser make it, just to show people you don’t need to be 92-96 to make it to the hall. Not real knowledgable on Blylevin, but from the stats he seems to have a great shot.

Random 2nd question.

Does McGwire deserve a shot? There has been a big thing on ESPN about him for the last week. I personally say yes, because what he did when he did it, it was LEGAL for him to do so. So he broke no rules.

Anyway just wanted to see what the opinions were out there.[/quote]

I personally loved McGwire when he was playing, so much fun to watch and a great guy. I think if his performance in Congress hadn’t been so disappointing then he’d have a great chance. Unfortunately, that’s on peoples minds and I think even if he will get in, "First ballot"is such a big title that they will make a statement, by not voting him in the first time.

The man hit 56 homeruns as a rookie, he was just a beast, and a dominant homerun hitter no matter what in my book. Although I don’t think he would have hit 70 without a bit of aid, that number is just so out there to me.

I’d give him the thumbs up, but I doubt the voters will

Hersheiser was great, but I just don’t think his numbers are the kind of material voters are looking for. His number were good and consistent, but not shocking. Although, I really enjoy listening to him cover the LLWS.

I would give my vote to Blyleven, near the top in strikeouts, worked many years. His ERA isn’t considered great, because he gave up the most homeruns ever. He gave up the most homeruns because he threw so many curves. Basically it’s a big circle, and the voters will have to decide if one rules over another.
He’s also at 287 wins which is pretty good (although his win percentage is only .534)
One of the better players to get bounced around a LOT.
I think 7 difference teams, and then he was with two teams two separate times.

Having lived in Minnesota a few years, and catching almost ever game broadcasted, I have listened to Blyleven a lot (voice of the Twins for many years). He would get my vote.

By the way, isn’t Mr. Cal Ripken Jr. in the running this year?

Also, I heard on ESPN they said a voter turned in his ballot blank, with a note that he did not want to vote for anyone in the “steriod era”. May have not heard that completely if anyone would like to comment on that.

yeah I heard about that too

heres a link to a article about it

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20070107-9999-lz1n7blankbal.html

I say give it up to Tommy John. He’s just shy of 300 wins, and I think the surgery and rehab he underwent should be factored in because he revolutionized the game, a pioneer. That should count for something. And again, he’s JUST shy of 300 wins.

From MLB.COM 01/09/07

2007 Hall of Fame voting results
The complete vote
(545 ballots, 409 needed for election):

Cal Ripken 537 98.5% :lol:
Tony Gwynn 532 97.6% :lol:

Rich “Goose” Gossage 388 71.2%
Jim Rice 346 63.5%

Andre Dawson 309 56.7%
Bert Blyleven 260 47.7%

Lee Smith 217 39.8% :?:
Jack Morris 202 37.1%

Mark McGwire 128 23.5% :cry:
Tommy John 125 22.9%

Steve Garvey 115 21.1%
Others receiving votes:
Dave Concepcion 74 (13.6%), Alan Trammell 73 (13.4%), Dave Parker 62 (11.4%), Don Mattingly 54 (9.9%), Dale Murphy 50 (9.2%), Harold Baines 29 (5.3%), Orel Hershiser 24 (4.4%), Albert Belle 19 (3.5%), Paul O’Neill 12 (2.2%), Bret Saberhagen 7 (1.3%), Jose Canseco 6 (1.1%), Tony Fernandez 4 (0.7%), Dante Bichette 3 (0.6%), Eric Davis 3 (0.6%), Bobby Bonilla 2 (0.4%), Ken Caminiti 2 (0.4%), Jay Buhner 1 (0.2%), Scott Brosius 0, Wally Joyner 0, Devon White 0, Bobby Witt 0.

I think jack morris should be in, ERA isnt always the best stat but either is wins which he has a lot of. He wasnt a “stats guy” he pitched to the score of the game and was clutch in the playoffs.

I tend to agree, but don’t you think the guy could’ve at least once in his career had his ERA under 3. I mean, this is the Hall of Fame we’re talking about.

Sure, I’d take him over Don Sutton, but he doesn’t belong there either

I tend to agree, but don’t you think the guy could’ve at least once in his career had his ERA under 3. I mean, this is the Hall of Fame we’re talking about.

Sure, I’d take him over Don Sutton, but he doesn’t belong there either[/quote]

324 wins and 3,282 strike outs isn’t good enough for you?

Sure, I’d take him over Don Sutton, but he doesn’t belong there either[/quote]

324 wins and 3,282 strike outs isn’t good enough for you?[/quote]

Those stats are not accurate… according to baseball-reference.com he’s got 254 wins and 2,478 KS … where’d you get those #s??

oh, you’re talking about Sutton … well, he had one 20 win seasn … the guys seems like a compiler … though I admit I only saw him pitch in the 80s.

im going to have to go with orel hershiser, always a fan, never got a chance to see him play though
also i would like to know if anyone thinks mark mcguire should deserve to be in , i personnaly dont…thats just me