Gyroball

According to the “How to grip and throw a gyroball” article, I throw one.
But I dont even try to. I have a bunch of pictures of me with my palm facing me right after I release the ball. Whats a gyroball supposed to do? Because I was just throwing a two-seam with a lot of movement and speed.

I’ve heard two things. 1. Here I heard a slider with no movement 2. During the Boston games the announcers said a screwball type pitch.

people have been throwing pitches with gyro spin for yeasrs. they call it hanging sliders.

I know how to throw the gyro but don’t choose to because of the damage and lack of movement on the pitch.

Grip like a slider then at release pronate the slider if done right it will come out to be a football spin and do NOTHING lol wasted pitch.

wow if it does nothing does it just hang in mid air? seems like that could be useful!

A gyroball is a “backup” or hanging slider. It is not a changeup or a screwball. This pitch should have little or no movement, but this pitch can actually be effective at the professional level. Professional hitters are extremely good, and they look for break in pitches. If a pitcher can throw a slider and then a gyroball it makes it difficult to hit. Professional hitters have to anticipate several inches of break in pitches, therefore a ball that looks like a good slider will actually be missed by big league hitters because it didn’t move at all.

I wouldn’t suggest this pitch at the high school level however. Most hitters will swing over the top of a curveball that breaks 4 inches every single time.

[quote=“Hammer”]A gyroball is a “backup” or hanging slider. It is not a changeup or a screwball. This pitch should have little or no movement, but this pitch can actually be effective at the professional level. Professional hitters are extremely good, and they look for break in pitches. If a pitcher can throw a slider and then a gyroball it makes it difficult to hit. Professional hitters have to anticipate several inches of break in pitches, therefore a ball that looks like a good slider will actually be missed by big league hitters because it didn’t move at all.

I wouldn’t suggest this pitch at the high school level however. Most hitters will swing over the top of a curveball that breaks 4 inches every single time.[/quote]

hanging sliders are getting rocket every days in major league. they were balls spinning like footballs. this gyroball thing is retarded and would be crushed by any big leaguer if somebody would go out and start calling himself a gyrobasller. nobody gets fooled when a slider hangs why would they get fooled by a hanging slider people call a gyroball?

[quote=“RIstar”]I know how to throw the gyro but don’t choose to because of the damage and lack of movement on the pitch.

Grip like a slider then at release pronate the slider if done right it will come out to be a football spin and do NOTHING lol wasted pitch.[/quote]

Isn’t the gyroball and delivery designed to reduce stress and damage on a pitcher?

A hitter only sees a pitch initially. The brain then interprets where it will end up.

The major league hitter sees gyro spin. They think slider, going to be slower the the fastball. Move down and across.
Now this pitch just happens to be moving 95 and have less sink on it than a 4 seamer. Tons of potential to fool hitters.

At levels where hitters still fail to recognize most offspeed it is relatively useless though.

exactly centerfield, apparantly 4pie has not caught on yet.

4pie, you’ve never seen a big leaguer miss a backup slider? Just tune into the first or second inning of game 3 tomorrow night. Hanging sliders are different than backup sliders. Hanging sliders are up in the zone, backup sliders can be lower in the zone and just spin, or appear to backup. Those don’t always get hit dude, just watch a game.

The screwball like pitch they refer to is called a shuuto, or shootball.

The Gyro is a no movement slider.

The Shooto is actually Japanese for a two seamer.

On wikipedia it is called shootball, yes it is just a 2-seamer with tons of movement.

:lol: Too funny!