Gyroball - take a look

well i think i have the gyroball as a pitch now. I had to replay the video mr. ellis has of that japanese pitching “phenom” ( i 4got his name.) like about 100 times to see how he throws it but now i have it. It tends to b a pretty sick pitch. It goes straight like a fast ball but it tends to move left to right alittle like a knuckle ball but at the last second it drops. I fooled one of my friends real badly on this pitch. i threw it to him n he over swung at it n fell. lol
The way u throw it is like throwing a football. U throw it like a football n grip it like a fastball. The only problem i have with it is sometimes not finding the strike zone when i first threw it. U will get it the first time but after that u might miss the zone but dont give up. any thoughts or more explanation just reply n i will help u.

Do you have to snap it at all?

I believe there is not snap, it is actually pronation that creates the spin. If there was a snap, it would just essentially be a slider, or a 1 plane curveball.

no not really. there is no snap @ all. If you kno how 2 throw a football then u should b ok. Let me advise u though when u first throw it it might go all over the place but dont give up.

Thanks. Just curious does your gyroball break more or less than your curve?

Also,Should your fingers be behind the ball or on the sides?

So how exactly do you grip it?

like a 4 seam fast ball

Should it roll off of your fingers or go the other way? Does it break away from or into a RHB

What you’re throwing sounds more like a palmball or a football change. A gyroball moves across, away from the throwing hand, not down that much.

I’ve been throwing a gyroball, which is getting pretty nasty. It’s not a sharp break, but it breaks straight into righties (I’m a lefty) about a foot to a foot and a half with almost no downward movement. How I throw mine is I grip it like a 4 seam, then move my hand towards the bottom of the horseshoe (for me that’s moving my hand to the left side of the ball) till your 2 fingers are touching and your middle finger is against the seam. The thumb should be almost directly below your fingers the same as if you were throwing a fastball. Then when I get to the release I come off the side of the ball as much as possible, pronating as I release it. The more you come off the side of the ball instead of the back, the more it will break across instead of down.

Basically it’s like a cutter on steroids.

[quote=“jtreeder”]What you’re throwing sounds more like a palmball or a football change. A gyroball moves across, away from the throwing hand, not down that much.

I’ve been throwing a gyroball, which is getting pretty nasty. It’s not a sharp break, but it breaks straight into righties (I’m a lefty) about a foot to a foot and a half with almost no downward movement. How I throw mine is I grip it like a 4 seam, then move my hand towards the bottom of the horseshoe (for me that’s moving my hand to the left side of the ball) till your 2 fingers are touching and your middle finger is against the seam. The thumb should be almost directly below your fingers the same as if you were throwing a fastball. Then when I get to the release I come off the side of the ball as much as possible, pronating as I release it. The more you come off the side of the ball instead of the back, the more it will break across instead of down.

Basically it’s like a cutter on steroids.[/quote]

do u think u can get a video of u throwing it then?

Will Carroll, author of “Saving the Pitcher,” e-mailed me the other day about the gyroball. He’s been studying it for a couple of years. I’ll post his comments here and on my blog when I interview him. Should be interesting.

how can I find the video of that pitch?

Here’s a video I’ve found. Not very good, but I’m still lookin’…

thats about the same movement i have when i throw mine.

I have been working on it for a long time and I think I have it. I am throwing my gyro just like a football. It starts out with some really weird side to side spin. Like hanging curve hit-me spin. Then all of sudden it breaks like a killer slurve down and away to a righty. I cant’ wait to use it. Does this sound like a Japanese gyroball?

Thats the same way i throw it. Its pretty sick.

http://f84614980.myweb.hinet.net/Gyro.zip

I think the gyroball is just a variation of slider.
But its advantage is that a gyroball can be thrown faster than traditional slider.