Gyro at age 12

Please help me. My son is 12 and his pitching coach would like for him to throw a gyro. What’s your opinion and please discuss any damage to the arm.

ok i don’t think anyone at that age can throw a gyroball. Ok we really don’t even know what one is. He’s gotta be crazy.

Everything I’ve read about the gyroball tells me that noone really knows how to throw the pitch, what the pitch really does, or if the pitch even exists. But the point of the pitch seems to be movement. So, from that standpoint, I think a young pitcher would be better off developing a good fastball and change-up.

I agree with your reply post. A gyro is unknown and kids should stick with a 2 seam, 4 seam fastball and changeup!

The gyroball is a dangerous pitch to throw. The gyroball release and snap is the same as a screwball snap which have ended careers of pitchers. Tell the pitching coach that he wont throw a gyroball.

The point of the pitch is not movement. The point is that the hitter “thinks” it’s going to move, but it’s straighter than what the hitter thinks is going to happen. There is slight movement, but the goal is to not have movement. The hitter sees slider-ish spin but it doesn’t break. If there is movement, it’s called a cutter/slider/slurve.

Who the heck is the pitching coach and why is he advocating a Gyro? Umm…find a new coach.

CJ Wilson of the Texas Rangers throws a gyroball. This is fact.

Your son’s coach wouldn’t expect a 12 yr. old to throw a gyroball because your son doesn’t have the arm power. Even if he had the right technique he still wouldn’t be able to throw the ball correctly and it could permanetly damage his arm.

You could be right. Or you could be wrong. I’ve read a lot about the gyro ball and it seems to me there is no consensus about what the pitch does. Half the people say it’s a slider. The other half say it’s a slider that doesn’t move. I think initially point of the pitch was movement. More recently, as confusion about the pitch has persisted, people are starting to question the pitch and now the idea of no movement is taking over. So which is it? All I have to go on is a bunch of hearsay. As far as I’m concerned, either the pitch doesn’t exist or it is simply an existing pitch thrown a new way.

I agree with Roger…the gyroball is a pitch that looks like a fork movement that doesn’t break but most of what you see looks like a slider… Dice-K throws his slider and gyro the same pitch grip… Explain That

it’s like throwing a football, grip on the side of the ball and pull down, causing a gyro spin.

Roger, I have read alot of info on the internet regarding the gyro. There is no consensus because the half that say it’s a slider does not know anything about the physics of a baseball. We all know what a slider is. Most sliders are more like slurves anyway.

The pitch exists, whether it was thrown intentionally or accidentally.

People question the pitch because they don’t know and they choose not to know. Those people post mis-information, it spreads, and now there are 2 sides. The confusion is between the definition of a “true” gyro and pitches that are similar. It’s like the confusion between a forkball and a splitter. Similar pitches, but there is a difference between a true forkball and a true splitter.

Jeff, what do you mean by “fork” movement? Same grip, but what did he do with his wrist? I can grip a 2-seamer and throw a slider, explain that.

In the end, the gyro is just a glorified show-me pitch. One doesn’t need it in their arsenal to succeed.

That’s the key point, IMHO. Time spent on the gyro is time not spent perfecting your other, needed pitches.

The gyroball rotates like a 2 seamer but sideways which is the same as a forkball. The batter thinks it’s a slider so swings for the slide but it doesn’t break. It’s almost like it cuts in like a running fastball so even if they swung for the gyro they’d still miss. That’s why they call it the “unhittable” pitch.

the gyro is horrible its the opposite of a curve snap.

As a little leaguer going to school ball, i noticed my teammates would warm-up with me and i noticed when they threw to me, that the ball had a gyro-spin. I asked them how they gripped the ball, they said like a 4-seamer. I noticed a lot of young throwers throw the gyro, without even knowing. And when they do throw this ball, it doesn’t move at all.

a little league coach wanting kids to learn a gyroball, is this a joke? its ineffective a that age because hitters know nothing about picking up spin on a ball to read the break. just stick with a fastball and change up

i throw a gyro when i throw a curve it wont curve

ok this pitching coach thinks he in the majors. no one it the majors throwsm it has a main pitch. what is he japanese or something.

and the gyroball ivoles no snaping.

at realeasue you pronate your arm and simultaelunsly turn your hips the opposite way

The gyroball…does not exist. At bottom it’s a variation of the screwball, and there are plenty of them around, and they’re all bad news for a pitcher. Remember Carl Hubbell? He used to throw the screwball almost exclusively, and he threw it so much and so often that in the end when he would stand with his arms at his sides the palm of his left hand faced out. More recently a pitcher named Shigetoshi Hasegawa used to throw something he called a “shuuto” which is a variation of the screwball. And a lot of pitchers are experimenting with this and that, and a lot of those pitches are variations of the screwball…bad news for pitchers, because you can mess up your arm in the same way.
I think that coach who wants the kid to throw a “gyroball” has his head all screwed up. Best to stay away from that one. You can come up with all sorts of variations on other pitches, none of which will mess up your arm. 8)

Wow, we talk about a cruveball possibly being bad for a pitcher and then we wonder if a gyro ball or screw ball is bad well if you are a parent or a coach thinking you want to give your player an advantage with it then you have a serious “Screw loose”!