Groundball pitcher

is this a good arsenal for a groundball pitcher
4seam fastball
sinker
cutter
circle change

its the location that makes you a groundball pitcher, not what pitches you have.

Well that can be it but also the downward moving pitches help with that. So the sinker and the change (assuming it has drop) will work nicely for that. Then that cutter thrown inside to jam someone or off the outside corner could fetch a few and the fastball if it has movement could get some.

That sinker and change is what you’ll prolly use for most of your groundouts though. Chien-Ming Wang’s sinker is nasty, he is one of the greatest ground ball pitchers there is so I suggest you watch some video of him.

I do think that the cutter could actually be your fly ball out or pop-up pitch because just having seen Mariano Rivera pitch so much I’ve noticed his get a lot of balls hit in the air.

Why just try to be a groundball pitcher though? Just be effective however you can. Don’t worry about what kind of outs you’re getting just get the outs. If grounders are what come then great but if not, just get the outs pop-ups, fly ball outs and Ks work too.

I am a pure groundball pitcher, granted I get 5 or 6 strikeouts a game, but my two seam fastball gets me a lot of groundballs because of its tailing and downward movement. My slider and changeup also get me just as many groundballs.

Remember though, that you are not going to get many groundballs throwing a fastball belt high, that ball is going to be rolling after it goes over the fence. Make sure to keep the ball knees or below and it will most likely stay on the ground.

if you are gonna be a groundball pitcher you should add a curve or a slider

look at all the great groungball pitchers
webb, wang, carmona, kevin brown

they all have a slider or a curve to keep the batters guessing
being a groundball pitchers you are gonna throw alot of pitches low
a off speed pitch will throw the batters off
and if your sinker breaks in(to you PAS side)
it would be god to have something breaking the other way

If you are going to be a groundball pitcher, make sure you have good infielders.

If u wanna be a groundball pitcher. Just keep the ball low. Even with a fourseam straight as a ruler fastball if its low theyll be on top of it and thatll give u that ground ball. IMO thats the major key

remeber though that most of the time, a grounder at your level is a base hit right back up the middle in higher levels and a flyball is a home run at higher levels. to really look for higher levels you have to dominate the batters youre facing right now, otherwise youll get rocket when youll be facing more talented hitters.

[quote=“kelvinp”]if you are gonna be a groundball pitcher you should add a curve or a slider

look at all the great groungball pitchers
webb, wang, carmona, kevin brown

they all have a slider or a curve to keep the batters guessing
being a groundball pitchers you are gonna throw alot of pitches low
a off speed pitch will throw the batters off
and if your sinker breaks in(to you PAS side)
it would be god to have something breaking the other way[/quote]

lol every major league pitcher throws some varient of a curve or slider, not the just groundball pitchers.

Here’s an important point to remember: if you throw a sinker, as I suspect you do, you have to make sure the mound is high enough. I recall a game the Yankees played in Kansas City; Chien-Ming Wang was pitching, and he was having a problem early in the game. Jorge Posada went out to the mound and told Wang to shorten his stride, the reason for that being that the mound in Kauffman Stadium is lower and flatter than mounds in other ballparks, and a low flat mound is murder on sinkerball pitchers! So Wang shortened his stride, and he pitched seven great innings and got the win.
As for other pitches to add to your repertoire, you can’t go wrong with the slider and the knuckle-curve,and I’m not just saying that because those were my two best pitches! The slider, when thrown correctly, is easier on the arm than just about any other pitch you can think of, and the knuckle-curve (ever see the one Mike Mussina throws?) gives batters conniption fits, the way it drops. Think about it. 8)