Grip

what would u call this grip slider/slurve/curve it breaks a ton but idk what 2 call it. /var/folders/iJ/iJOnzXLZGxqXVuQGBTe+ek+++TU/-Tmp-/com.apple.PhotoBooth-T0xa0f770.tmp.Rc5quK/Photo 1.jpg[/img]

There is no difference between a curve and a slider grip necessarily, it’s 100 percent in how you throw the pitch that makes the difference between the two. The grip is just whatever you feel helps you get the most spin on the ball

when i throw it it starts straight the it breaks about 2 feet down and away on a righty and in on a lefty

I’ve thrown some sliders that have that effect, as well as curve balls. I wouldn’t worry too much about what it’s called as long as it has the effect you want. Just call it whatever you want, if you think it is more of a curve, call it a curve, more of a slider, slider, mixed, slurve. It’s your pitch no one but you gets to call it what you want (obviously you can’t call it a knuckle ball though or something like that). It also depends on what your arm angle is and other factors. The easiest way would be for you to show a video of you throwing it, but just like a walk through, just real slow so I could see the arm action.

I have a change up that I’m not real sure what to call it as it’s like a splitter change up hybrid so I just call it a change up, no need to call it anything else, and it’s effective for me.

I know just what you mean about not being sure what to call a particular pitch! :lol: I remember one day when I was warming up prior to starting a game, and suddenly I threw a pitch that was a good deal faster than the snake-jazz I was throwing. I threw it several times, crossfiring it and all that, and when I realized that whatever it was, it was not a fluke, I called my catcher out to talk about it. He wanted to know if I wanted to try it in the game, and I said I did, and so I used it in the game. The batters had no idea what to do with it, and this added to my strikeout total for the day. I called it my “whoops” pitch because I didn’t know what else to call it.
The next day I mentioned it to my pitching coach, and his response was to run into the Yankee clubhouse, grab two mitts, throw one and a ball to me, and tell me to throw that pitch nine or ten times because he wanted to time it. He timed it with a stopwatch, and then he said to me “I’ve got news for you. You have a fast ball!” I was dumbfounded—me, a snake-jazzer, with a fast ball? He told me that it was a good four-seamer with good movement on it, and he said "That’s a good pitch. Use it."He told me how I could use it, along with my other stuff, to set the opposing batters up for my slider. And so I had what I continued to call a “whoops” pitch—a good four-seam fast ball, at 81 miles an hour which for a finesse pitcher like me was indeed a fast ball!
Pitchers have all sorts of names for all sorts of pitches. Satchel Paige, for example, had a whole thesaurus of names for the stuff he threw—my favorite is one he called the “be ball” because, as he said, “It be where I want it to be.” Then there’s the one commonly referred to as the “eephus”, a pitch Rip Sewell came up with because he had to alter his delivery due to an injury. That has also has been known variously as the blooper, the folly floater, the “la lob” and anything else one wanted to call that slow, high-arcing curve ball that could reach 20 feet in height before descending. And then there was the magical mystery pitch, a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma (something like that poultry dish known as a “turducken”). It had been variously described as a variation of the palm ball, an I-don’t-know-what-the-heck-it-is, you name it—but I found out that it was, at bottom, a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip and the prerequisite for that pitch was a good slider! A guy named Shigetoshi Hasegawa, who used to pitch for the Seattle Mariners, threw a “shuuto” which at bottom is a changeup screwball. The same went for that phantom “gyroball”—it too is a variation of the screwball. And so it goes. You call a pitch what you want, as long as you can get batters out with it. 8)