Greg Maddux pitch

I got 2 questions

1. I got a video of him pitching, very old video (he was in high school). You all have probably seen it. My question is, why did he change his pitching machanics so much? Looks like he eliminated all unnecessary body movements to get better control perhaps?

2. in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge16ieX3zy0 you will see him pitching a pitch that goes from left to the right.
    Is that a 2 seam fastball? Does he make more presure od the ball with his middle finger to make the ball act like that, or?

Thanks!

To answer your second question, yes that is his two-seamer and yes he is probably applying pressure on his middle finger to get it to move that way. There are other ways he is throwing the ball to get it to move like that but there isn’t many people who can get the ball to move like Maddux, if any.

He more than likely changed his pitching mechanics for the control as you mentioned and it was more than likely a good way for him to gain more velocity and to make his delivery more comfortable for his arm.

Could also be his sinker (A fastball variation, after watching it a couple of times he’s thrown just his change and the sinker), he works sinker and change up for the same busting in on the hands of a righty action. He really didn’t change his mechs all that dramatically, perhaps now a little less time hands over head but you don’t even have to see his face to know it’s him.
Did we all note that this 40+ year old man had over 200 innings at this point with 37 walks…and 113 k’s in 33 starts? Those that think he’s not dominant should consider what those stats mean. Put him on a heavy hitting club and he’s won 20 easy…At his age and the speed in which he throws, it’s just breathtaking the competitiveness this guy has…and domination (Stealin second just shows he is still one of the best competitors ever…and still having FUN!!!).
AND completely arm injury free…oh yeah we oughta imitate this guy…no doubt.

Watching a few of his games I think that that was his two-seamed fastball. From what I’ve seen, his sinker is a little different. I could be wrong though. His pitching stats are very astounding, hall-of-fame worthy.

A sinker and a two seamer are the same thing.

No there not, a sinker is gonna drop more than a two-seamer. A two-seamer is gonna have a tail on it. Also to throw a sinker you place your fingers the same way as a two-seamer but then u bring your fingers together in the middle, between the laces.

“A sinker and a two seamer are the same thing.”

Except that you can “cut” a 2 seamer or you can “sink” a 2 seamer, Greg has always been termed (And I think terms himself) a sinker ball pitcher. It’s all semantics. He changes speeds and locates his fastball. Ok everybody? That is why the vast majority of his outs are ground balls. Call it “Late fer dinner” but the action busts in and down on the hands of a right hand batter…start it on the inner portion and it generally can break a bat, or sting the hands AND get a weak ground ball.

Considering that they’re both gripped often differently, not to mention that a sinker is a reversed curveball while the two-seamed fastball is, as its name implies a fast ball, I’d say they’re more or so different.

"Considering that they’re both gripped often differently, not to mention that a sinker is a reversed curveball while the two-seamed fastball is, as its name implies a fast ball, I’d say they’re more or so different. "

A “Reversed” curve ball? How does one do that? A screw ball is as close to that as you can get I would suppose, but no, the sinker and the cut are just fastball variants (You do pronate on the sinker…I guess you could say it resembles a screwgie for that), you get more or different actions depending on finger placement, which is why IMO Grag gets the majority of funk that he whips out there.

A sinker is a two seam fastball. Some guys happen to have more sink than others. Derek Lowe’s sinker is a two seam fastball. Maddux can make the ball move the way he wants, but whether he gets the ball to run or sink, it’s a two seam grip. You don’t have to use a two seam grip to cut the ball.

So same pitch, different action for different people.

They haven’t changed that much.

He did back off his FB 3-5 MPH once he got to the big leagues in order to improve his control. In HS he could cruise in the low 90s.

[quote=“Nikae09”]2. in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge16ieX3zy0 you will see him pitching a pitch that goes from left to the right.
Is that a 2 seam fastball? Does he make more presure od the ball with his middle finger to make the ball act like that, or?[/quote]

It’s probably a 2-seamer, although a change-up can also move like that (as does a screwball, which Maddux doesn’t throw).