Good workout

What exactly should a good baseball workout consist of?

1. Ground based exercises
  2. Free weight exercises
  3. Baseball specific movements
  4. Balanced routine
  5. Periodized program
  6. Overload

These are 6 principles that I use and teach for designing baseball strength programs.

I explain these in more detail on my website in one of my newletters. Otherwise just respond with any questions for more detail.

[quote=“Mike Griffin”]1) Ground based exercises
2) Free weight exercises
3) Baseball specific movements
4) Balanced routine
5) Periodized program
6) Overload

These are 6 principles that I use and teach for designing baseball strength programs.

I explain these in more detail on my website in one of my newletters. Otherwise just respond with any questions for more detail.[/quot

Mike, Thanks for your contribution to this site. Do you come into contact with many high level players that are apprehensive in regards to really training hard with free weights? I personally feel lack of strength in one form or another is what keeps many kids from achieving success at a higher level. Specifically pitchers, so many high school kids seem to hit the wall in the low 80’s. They are clearly lacking in strength but due to old time baseball strength training mentalities by some coaches they never fulfill what may be their full potential because they lack strength. Instead choosing to believe that mechanical tweaks here and there are the only answers to velocity issues. Just want to make it clear that I believe some mechanical adustments do increase velocity but at the same time perfect mechanics do not make up for strength deficits.

In order to avoid overtraining, how long should a workout last? How many sets should be included?

my workouts last about 45 minutes to an hour. But then again, that’s just me, I feel training at a higher intensity yeilds greater results. Just make sure you get a good pwo shake, and follow that up with a meal about 45 minutes after words. When you workout at a high intensity, your glycogen levels deplete. To spike it back up, I usually drink grape juice, then about 2 cups of oats with ON Whey protein, olive oil, and flaxseed.

You can probably do about 12-15 sets per muscle group, but I’m not sure, Mike knows more about this. It just depends on how your body responds to whatever program your doing; take for example, I’m what you would consider a hard gainer, a ripped one at that, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll throw 90 plus by having a lot of muscles. It’s hard work, dedication needs to be there! I mean, we are competing with kids all across the world, having that extra edge can really make you stand out. Train hard, eat right, get plenty of sleep, and get a good throwing program in.

Also, Mike, this is a different question? But what are your thoughts on an Athletic training degree. I’m a junior right now in highschool, and plan on majoring in it after highschool. Thanks,

Frank