Good velocity for pitcher going into 8th grade?

[b] Hi, I’m going into 8th grade. Is these good velocities for my pitches?

4 Seam Fastball- 65-70
2 Seam Fastball- 63-68
Cutter- 65-70
Curveball- 40-45

[/b]

The velocities are pretty good for your age, cause you still have this winter to mature physically for the spring which usually will add a couple miles per hour on it’s own at that age.

Honestly though I would drop the cutter from your pitches, it is a lot like a slider which can be really hard on the arm. I would guess you’d like to pitch for a quite a while so arm health is key.

I would add a changeup in it’s place, maybe even if you don’t feel it works in games well, keep throwing it in bullpens (Although it should be very effective in games, drawing weak contact often). If you don’t like it now you will definately appreciate being able to throw it a few years down the road.

I feel stupid asking this but what are bullpens?

Basically it’s a pitching session without a hitter. Pitching practice really.

There are versions of cutters to throw that are perfectly safe for your arm… The curve is the pitch that hurts the arm…
How do you throw your cutter, and drop the curve and add the change. Work on the curve your sophomore/junior year in high school.

[quote=“SnakeManiac72”]There are versions of cutters to throw that are perfectly safe for your arm… The curve is the pitch that hurts the arm…
How do you throw your cutter, and drop the curve and add the change. Work on the curve your sophomore/junior year in high school.[/quote]

How can you possibly make a cutter cut without supinating the wrist? (Same action as a curveball and slider)

[quote=“centerfield2150”]There are versions of cutters to throw that are perfectly safe for your arm… The curve is the pitch that hurts the arm…
How do you throw your cutter, and drop the curve and add the change. Work on the curve your sophomore/junior year in high school.[/quote]

How can you possibly make a cutter cut without supinating the wrist? (Same action as a curveball and slider)[/quote]

It’s the grip that make’s it cut. Both index and middle fingers are on the right seam (for a lefthander its both finger on the left seam). Which makes it spin like a slider but there’s no arm twist, which makes not break as much, but its still the most effective fastball.

I was in 8th grade last year an my 4 and 2 seam was the same as you my change up was 53-58 and my curve was 50 -55! i went 7-0 with a .95 era on the freshman team.

Supinating before accelerating the arm forward is much safer than supinating while the arm is accelerating forward. The trick is to set the angle early and then maintain it through release. This is easier to do with the curve because the hand/wrist are supinated a full 90 degrees. The slider and cutter involve a greater tendancy to supinate during forward acceleration because the initial position is only a partial supination (45 degrees for slider, 22.5 degrees for cutter) and there is still room to supinate further.