Good strikeout combo

i can throw a sinker, a change, and a 4 seam. What do you guys think would be a nice k’ combo with those pitches.

Depends how old your competition is, how hard you throw, how much movement you have on each specific pitch, what you threw to previous hitters, lots of variables.

Assuming that your sinker is more generally useful for ground-ball outs, you might want to develop a breaking ball to go with your 4-seam FB and change-up.

On the other hand, if your change-up is an outstanding one maybe it could be set up with the FB to be your best strikeout pitch. Trevor Hoffman certainly made a nice career for himself doing that…

if you’re going into hs ball, it would be bright to invest in a breaking pitch (slider, curve, screwball) so that if they get around on your fastballs or sinker then you have your breaking pitches as a back-up

Two fastballs, then a change up. Or a change up, fastball, change up. Or Sinker, Change Up, Change Up

If you focus on changing speed, location, and the eye level of the hitter you’ll get the K’s. Its as simple as that.

With that repertoire I guess your bread and butter would be hitting spots with your sinker and look for groundouts. K’s should be secondary.

But to answer your question:
It depends very much on the quality of your changeup and 4-seamer. If you get a lot of difference in velocity/sink with your changeup then I’d go with the sinker until the guy is on two strikes and then throw a change low in the zone. Maybe even in the dirt and hope them to go chasing.
If they don’t chase then I’d blow a 4-seam upstairs. But that offcourse means that the 4-seam has to have notable speed difference compared to the change and even to the 2-seamer.
That should give you K’s.

Basically the less they see the K-pitch the better. A sinker-pitcher usually fulfills this rule by default because he throws the moving fastball 80-90% of his total pitches and relies on the secondary pitches only in situations when he looks for a K or to get by a batter that sees well the sinkers and keeps fouling them.

But it would help a lot of you’d have a breaking pitch you seem to be missing. That gives you tons of more options and certainly would help keeping the hitters guessing. A slider/slurve/curveball/splitter/forkball would do the trick :wink:

In my playing days, many moons ago, I was a confirmed snake-jazzer—not much on speed, so I had to develop an arsenal of breaking stuff. I built that arsenal around two pitches—a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” (after a character in a W.C. Fields movie) because that was exactly what it was, with a sharp late break, and a very good knuckle-curve which would fall off the table, much to the consternation of batters who wanted a piece of it. A whole shelf full of assorted changeups—my pitching coach had told me that just about anything could be turned into a nice changeup!—and on top of all that, the crossfire. I was a natural sidearmer, and I had picked up that move (which works only with the sidearm delivery); I remember that I fell so in love with the crossfire that I used it all the time, to the extent that nobody knew whether I would throw a pitch in the ordinary way or crossfire it. Music to my ears, to hear opposing hitters let loose with all manner of expletives on their way back to the dugout.
As to what I would use for a combo—much of the time I would go like this: curve ball—knuckle curve—slider, and I would move them around and change speeds and the batters never knew what hit them. Later on I acquired, pretty much by accident, a good four-seamer at 81 MPH which my pitching coach told me was, for a finesse pitcher like me, a fast ball, and I would sometimes add it to the mix. But old McNasty was my strikeout pitch!
Fun. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher: