Good secdonary pitches

im 14,playing babe ruth at the oment, and am a small guy about 5’5 115 lbs.i throw in the high 60’s low 70’s on occaion probally.I have a really good curveball,but sometimes it has a sharp break and others its more of a slow dropping curve, and i have a decent change up. I throw a 4 seam and 2 seam, but i want one mor epitch,i was thinking, slider? i think I know the grip on a slider, but what do you do with your arm?

thanks, dylan

hmmmmm Maybe you should perfect the pitches you have. Having three pitches is plenty and you said it yourself, there is some inconsistencies with your pitches.

If you were dead set on getting another pitch I wouldn’t go with a slide, the arm action and motion is very similar to a curve so you might start messing up on your Curveballs.

How big is your hand? I would try a splitter, its pretty simple to throw and not many kids (especially in your age bracket ) throw it or have even seen.

But my main advice is to really focus on the pitches you have. Hell, you said you were fourteen right? It’s safe to say that you haven’t yet even mastered your fastball.

At your age you have all the pitches you need, and the best thing you can do is work on them and refine them. Later on—when you reach age 16—you might think about the slider, which when thrown correctly is actually easier on the arm and shoulder than anything else, and for many pitchers easier to throw and control than the curve ball.
If you feel you absolutely have to add a secondary pitch to your arsenal, there are any number of changeups to consider. I personally recommend the palm ball, which is a very nice pitch, easy to pick up, and because you throw it with the same motion and the same arm speed as a fast ball you only have a different grip from your other stuff. You grip that one with all four fingers on top and the thumb underneath for support, well back in the palm of your hand—but don’t grip the ball too tightly, because you don’t want to squeeze the juice out of the ball!
I think you should wait with the splitter as well. That pitch is actually a faster-moving cousin of the fork ball, and the grip might be a problem if you have a small hand. You might try a circle change; that’s a nice little breaking pitch and a good changeup as well. 8)

[quote=“Zita Carno”]
I think you should wait with the splitter as well. That pitch is actually a faster-moving cousin of the fork ball, and the grip might be a problem if you have a small hand. You might try a circle change; that’s a nice little breaking pitch and a good changeup as well. 8)[/quote]

Yeah, like i said if your hand is big enough rock the splitty, I’m 5’8" and have been since I was fourteen, i dont exactly have big hands but it was just big enough to use it. It does take some getting used to and it will feel weird at first. Try splitting your fingers on a baseball, you should be able to tell right away if your hand is big enough.

defiantly go with the slider but yours will be weak. the faster the slider the more the break. thats why fireballers throw them to compliment their fastball. go with a splitter. if you have big hands go with the forkball

the slider you throw like a fastball but at the release twist your fingers ONLY.