Good Grip Advice

Hey everyone i am going into my sophmore year in high school and i will hopefully be pitching for my teambut i have some questions on diferent grips i throw -----

4 seam

2 seam

Splitter

CIrcle change

Slider

I would like to throw a curve but not to worried about that at the moment because everytime i throw it it doesnt do what i want but i wanted to see if anyone has advice for good circle- changes or sliders there decent but i would like to improve them any help would appreciate it…

Best Pitches-
I throw my 4 seam and 2 seam really great and also throw my splitter really good and with alot of movement

Pitches want to get better-
I would like to know a way to throw a great circle-change that is fooling to the hitter and has alot of movement and i would also like to throw my slider with more bite any advice on how to throw those pitches the best way with most movement and effectiveness thank you in advance

Your a tad young to be throwing a slider. It’s quite agreed upon around here to learn that around 17 or 18 years of age.

Your probably a bit too young for the splitter too, Ian.

What does the Split do to the arm I thought it was just a variation of a fastball

Hey, a Splitter is basically another variant of a breaking ball. You basically throw it like a fastball, but with your pointer and middle finger stretched and as you throw it you snap your wrist downwards causing the ball to split down to homeplate.

But be careful as you can really throw your arm out and for a sophomore that would suck. Also make sure youre arm is ready for that king of thing. Instead of a splitter try throwing a two seam fastball and work on that to get some better movement. I read and I heard from a coach you could throw a ‘basic’ cutter by holding it like a curveball, yet a bit off the center and instead of snapping your wrist you just throw it as a fastball so somewhere in between a 2 seam and a slight cutter. I think…

talk to your P coaches and what not.

Oh and for the changeup, something I regret not doing when I was a freshman or a sophomore was really take the time to work on a decent changeup. As I played this season I realized that I need something to really mess up the pitchers count. Cause I would always drop two or three fastballs of low-mid 80’s and an occasional cutter that sometimes didnt cut or a curveball that was a bit effy. Now for the past month I’ve been going out and working on a solid change up. I have a straight change up now and its okay the thing is that when you throw it you wont be like WHOA! thats awesome, but to the batters it will really mess them up (:

This is the key to it all. The reason the change-up isn’t thrown as much as it is at the highschool level.

A lot of guys throwing splitters are turning up with elbow problems because it puts a lot of stress on the tip of the elbow when your fingers are split so wide and your wrist is snapped down violently, Ian.

There’s a universe of difference between the splitter and the forkball. I do believe that when someone talks about the grip being injurious to a pitcher’s arm or shoulder he’s really referring to the forkball—that’s the one where the fingers are spread so wide they’re on opposite sides of the ball. For that you really need to have large hands and very long fingers, and I don’t believe that’s the case here. Now, for the splitter—you can grip the ball as for a two-seam fast ball and then spread your fingers just wide enough so they’re off the seams, and that will do the trick. But you have to throw it the same way you do a fast ball.
I think you might have an easier time with the slider than you realize. To begin with, the grip is off-center—niether two-seam nor four-seam, but somewhere in between. You can experiment until you find the right spot. As for throwing it—I had a pitching coach years ago who was absolutely incredible, and what he told me was “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” You know how you throw a curve with a wrist snap like a karate chop or pulling down a window shade? Well, for the slider you just turn it over, and the wrist action is easier. I learned that pitch when I was sixteen, and in a short time it became my strikeout pitch, the one I could really go to—so I don’t think you’re too young to try that one.
Other pitches you might experiment with: The palm ball, which is what it name implies—you grip the ball way back in the palm of your hand, but not so far that it gets stuck there, between your thumb and your little finger with the other three fingers on top of the ball—hence the name.
And you throw that one just like a fast ball. You can turn it into a changeup by loosening the grip. In fact, my coach told me that just about any pitch you throw can be turned into a changeup. The knuckle-curve is another nice pitch to add to your arsenal—you grip it like your usual curve but then you turn your middle finger in so that your fingernail is dug into the seam. It’s sometimes called a “spike” curve, and that’s how Mike Mussina throws it. (A good incentive not to bite your nails.) I could tell you a lot more, because when I pitched I threw a lot of “snake jazz”, not having a fast ball to speak of—but I think you have something to start with. Have fun. :baseballpitcher: :slight_smile:

you dont need a curve

if all your pitches are good and you throw them with no pain

you have the same pitches as randy johnson

he never threw a curve and look where he is now

2nd on the all time strikeout list

keep working with what you got