Good enough to play college ball?

I am sophomore playing normal highschool ball in Kansas City. I pitch around 80-81 consistently(top out at 84ish) and have pretty good command. To this point in my highschool career, I have gone undefeated on the mound, I have really done everything I can to get noticed. It recently payed off for me when a scout recommended me to a showcase at Kansas University. That will be the first week of June, so I am excited for that. But my problem is, no matter what I do to appease myself on the field, I still doubt my abilities. I feel like I’m never going to be good enough to reach the next level. It is a constant mental battle that I have to play over and over in my head until I can tell myself something to make me chill out. I was just wondering if I could get some insight from some older college or experienced pitchers who have been in this sort of position before. I realize that it is perfectly natural to question ones abilities, keeping a high self esteem is not an easy thing, but I just want to know if these stats are technically “good enough” to play college ball.

Undefeated on the mound?
Look Dosed one thing about our sport…They will let you fall off to the way side, someone else will always jump up to take your place. Now the question is; Are YOU gonna let them?
A kid your age should be of the attitude "Bring them all on!!!"
This “self-esteem” not being easy stuff, is liberal drivel, a feel good thing that somebody that got their lunch money taken from them when they were little thought up so someone would hold their hand and tell them it’s ok. You apparently are a dominanting pitcher. ACT like it, be determined and don’t get off the mound until they drag your dead stiff body off of it.
Don’t go getting all needy on us here. You have to have an inner fire that won’t be quenched. That comes from within and no one can give it to you. Baseball is desire and your desire is the only thing that will get you to the next levels.

May I suggest as a resource, “Head Games”? It really is the simplest look at how you can learn to play the mental side of the game.

In baseball as in most other things you tend to get what you expect to get. Consider the idea, “expectations effect outcomes”. Your expectations effect your attitude, your attitude effects your physical state, your physical state effects your outcomes. Your outcomes, your results, effect what you get.

BTW, as jdfromfla alludes to, this equation not only can effect your results, but can negatively effect the outcomes of the hitters you face. If you expect to retire a hitter, your attitude shows it and your physical state and actions demonstrate it. The hitter’s level of expectation against you can be neagitively effected by your confidence and actions, such that his attitude and physical state is not free and easy. You now have a big advantage.

Good luck, let us know where you are going to be playing your college ball. :slight_smile:

If your a sophmore throwing mid 80 than you are definantally good enough to play in college.

Well are you looking to play at any level of college or r u talking about a division 1 program?? To play at that level your gonna have to add some velocity on your fastball. I realize your only a sophmore so you have time but im lettin ya know a coach at a big time school isnt gonna take the time to look at you unless your something special and velocity is the first thing they look at. Im not tryin to put you down like i said you have a lot of time to develop but i suggest finding the most competitive summer ball team u can find and pitching on it to see how you stack up against kids who are gonna be playing college ball.

You definatly have what it takes to pitch in college if you work hard enough. Your only a sophomore and sitting at 80, and topping out at 84. If you can sit at 85 your senior year and have any type of breaking ball you should be looking pretty good, as long as you have decent grades. A kid from my conference topped out around 87 last year, but didnt pitch a lot. They used him as a closer. He’s now pitching for Boston College. Just work hard on developing an off speed pitch and continue to add velocity to your fastball.

Do not doubt yourself, sure it would be better to be consistent in the mid to upper 80’s. Command of your pitches is very important!. Keep working on you mechanics and I am sure the speed will pick up a bit. Find someone that knows the mechanics and I am confident you can pick up an extra 5 miles per hour. If not, Greg Maddox does not overpower and he did Ok in the Majors!!!

Greg Maddux could throw in the 90s earlier in his career though.