Going from 55' back to 46'

Has anyone here had success at 55’ mounds and then went back to 46’? My son has done well this fall in 14U, and I’m wondering if mentally he’ll be able to go back and pitch LL at 46’. Won’t have to decide until February, but he’s leaning towards moving on and skipping his last year of LL.

Just my opinion, not based on science, but i would think he should move on and forget about dropping down to 46’, especially if he has a learned to throw consistent breaking pitches from 55’

me too…wastin valuable pitches for kiddie stuff

Still pretty much stays with the 2-seamer. He threw one change up in four innings (<80 pitches) last week and one change up the week before in three innings (<50 pitches). Until the kids start catching up with it and can drive it to the outfield, he’s comfortable just pounding the plate with the 2-seamer. Nothing fancy. His change ups look great in practice, but he’s yet to need it in a game.

According to the catcher and his coach, his 2-seamer breaks 6"+ to the outside of a RH hitter. A scary proposition for a LH hitter, since he is still learning how to control this new movement. In his 50 pitch game, six of the first seven batters were left handed. The ball movement is probably the reason he can stay with the FB.

Considering letting him play in a 12U tournament on Sunday after his 14U game on Saturday and observe how he gets along with the different teammates and fields.

With 14 U, he’s playing at the field size where he should be, and with teammates that are in the same grade and closer to his size. The 325’+ fence is a long drive. Definitely more challenging pitching to bigger, stronger, quicker kids.

At 12U, the kids are his age, but mostly come up to his chest or shoulders, and the 50’ mound and 220’ fences will seem short. Not much challenge in pitching to most just turned 12 year old.

He’s now 5’-9" and slightly taller than me. :slight_smile: I can see him easily being 5’10 or 5’-11" and 170 lbs by August tournament time. It would be very scary for him to face some of the 60 pound LL next year

West2East,
Considering your last post I’m thinking even more so that he should stay with the older kids.

Also, consider that he’s getting good break at the longer distance. Take away the distance, you may take away some of the break, especially with the 2 seamer.

[quote=“Turn 22”]West2East,
Considering your last post I’m thinking even more so that he should stay with the older kids.

Also, consider that he’s getting good break at the longer distance. Take away the distance, you may take away some of the break, especially with the 2 seamer.[/quote].

There’s no break at 46’. He had a very frustrating spring year 'cause of it. He’s much happier and in charge when his pitch moves.

There ya go. Stay with the Big Dogs

Also, at 14U I would definitely get him started on throwing the change. t’s a really good equalizer.

Much success to your son.

I agree. Let him stay where he is. In another year or so he may be ready to move up to the full 60’6" pitching distance. And let him work on a good changeup—there are so many to choose from. :slight_smile: 8)