Glove tuck?

Today at practice my pitching coach told me to stop tucking my glove because it causes balance issues (which I have), but im not so sure where I should put it since thats how I’ve always done it.

Also, should I work on this during my next outting or just practice until I do it consitently?

Do you have a video of yourself pitching that we can view? You can post it on Youtube.

I also suggest you go to the video library section of this site and study how the pros do it.

At foot plant, the glove should be positioned somewhere out front over the front foot. The arms should be in an opposite and equal position. From that point forward, the glove should turn over as the shoulders rotate but should otherwise remain out front. The chest should move to the glove.

If you look at the pro video clips as dm59 suggested, compare the position of the pros’ gloves at foot plant to some object in the background. You should see that the glove doesn’t really move backward once it gets out front.

[quote=“carazymcmahon”]Today at practice my pitching coach told me to stop tucking my glove because it causes balance issues (which I have), but im not so sure where I should put it since thats how I’ve always done it.

Also, should I work on this during my next outting or just practice until I do it consitently?[/quote]

This sounds like bad advice.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“carazymcmahon”]Today at practice my pitching coach told me to stop tucking my glove because it causes balance issues (which I have), but im not so sure where I should put it since thats how I’ve always done it.

Also, should I work on this during my next outting or just practice until I do it consitently?[/quote]

This sounds like bad advice.[/quote]

ZZzzzzinnngGGG!

A shot in the dark! 8)

Gotta do better than a drive-by comment without a reasonable explanation in my opinion.

Sounds like the coach wants you to correct your balance issues, and there are many reasons for an imbalance. One of them is when you pull the glove hand down toward your hip in an attempt to create a more explosive shoulder turn. This tends to result in falling off the mound to the glove side, and often leaving the ball up in the zone. However, it’s really not possible to diagnose anything without seeing what you’re doing.

What I would like to see is a more complete explanation of what you discussed with your coach, what he said specifically, and either what you don’t understand or why you disagree. Otherwise its like arguing with your reflection. It might make you feel good, but it gets you nowhere.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“carazymcmahon”]Today at practice my pitching coach told me to stop tucking my glove because it causes balance issues (which I have), but im not so sure where I should put it since thats how I’ve always done it.

This sounds like bad advice.[/quote]

I’m watching a pro pitcher right now on TV. He is pulling in his glove into his chest… As is the other pitcher

There are very few pro pitchers who don’t end up with the glove in the region of the chest (either by actively tucking the glove or by bringing the chest to the glove). I think that pitchers who don’t may be costing themselves velocity and/or hurting their fielding ability.

[quote=“smokky1”]

I’m watching a pro pitcher right now on TV. He is pulling in his glove into his chest… As is the other pitcher[/quote]

The folks who, in my opinion, seem to be the better pitchers don’t actively pull the glove in to their chest, but move their body to the mitt. In both cases, the glove ends up in roughly the glove-side shoulder area (with a few exceptions, or course). Looking at the three pitchers at the bottom of this page is a good example. Riveia seems to shorten his glove-side arm and pull it to his chest. Weaver throws his mitt toward home and stretches to reach it. Johnson stretches to the mitt, but it ends up lower, at the level of his ribs rather than his shoulder.

While Rivera is successful with his motion, I wouldn’t teach it to a young pitcher. Moving the body to the glove encourages a more aggressive move to the plate and finishing in balance, while Rivera’s motion would tend to cause a pitcher to fall off to the glove side of the mound.

sorry i didn’t quite make the question clear.

i meant that my coach said to stop pulling my glove into my chest (rather than my chest moving to my glove), which causes me to fall towards first sometimes.

i should have some video up soon, the weather is finally starting to clear up.

Pulling the glove is often accompanied by opening up the shoulders early which is a timing problem that can cause balance issues. Getting the glove out front like I described in my previous post can fix this timing problem.