Glove size

My son has outgrown his 11.5" glove that he’s had for two years and is asking for a bigger glove. Any recommendation on what size (11.75" or 12") is best. I would like it to last for several years at least. At 12, he’s 5’9" 161 and growing.

(Thanks to basketball, he’s not 180).

Thanks for your comments.

My son uses a 11.5" to play 3rd and pitch, always seems small to me but he says it’s to keep the transition faster as a fielder. He is 15 and good sized hands. I have always heard infielders gloves should be 11.5"-11.75", pitchers 11.5"-12", outfielders 12"-gigantic, 1st base 13"-Mark Teshera Sized. Don’t know if I answered your question.

What positions does he play?

For the longest time my son used a 11.75 to play 3rd and pitch. Last year as an 8th grader he asked for a smaller glove. Now he uses an 11.5 for pitching and 3rd.

Does the .25 inch glove make a difference. probably not a lot physically but in his mind he’s more comfortable with the smaller glove.

By the way he is 15 years old, 6’1", 170 lbs. I dont think size of the player matters much for glove size. Its more of confidence the player has in the glove.

As a side point he will not use anything other than Rawlings gloves. Again its part of the mental game.

[quote=“Turn 22”]What positions does he play?

For the longest time my son used a 11.75 to play 3rd and pitch. Last year as an 8th grader he asked for a smaller glove. Now he uses an 11.5 for pitching and 3rd.

Does the .25 inch glove make a difference. probably not a lot physically but in his mind he’s more comfortable with the smaller glove.

By the way he is 15 years old, 6’1", 170 lbs. I dont think size of the player matters much for glove size. Its more of confidence the player has in the glove.

As a side point he will not use anything other than Rawlings gloves. Again its part of the mental game.[/quote]

Pitcher and 1st base.

I’ve heard the same. Pretty much the reason for the 11.5" at 10. Figured he would use it for awhile.

Well my kid is a good sized Freshman…the comments I made weren’t for a 10u but for adult sizes.

I didnt know we were talking about youth gloves.

If he’s outgrowing the youth glove and he feels comfortable with the 11.5, just get his an 11.5 adult glove. It will fit his hand better and wont feel oversized when fielding. As for 1st, invest in a first basemans mitt.

[quote=“Turn 22”]I didnt know we were talking about youth gloves.

If he’s outgrowing the youth glove and he feels comfortable with the 11.5, just get his an 11.5 adult glove. It will fit his hand better and wont feel oversized when fielding. As for 1st, invest in a first basemans mitt.[/quote]

He has an adult glove.

[quote=“West2East”][quote=“Turn 22”]I didnt know we were talking about youth gloves.

If he’s outgrowing the youth glove and he feels comfortable with the 11.5, just get his an 11.5 adult glove. It will fit his hand better and wont feel oversized when fielding. As for 1st, invest in a first basemans mitt.[/quote]

He has an adult glove. I was looking back at his growth chart and notices he was 5’2" 110 when he turned 10. It’s been a lont time since he’s been youth size.

Got ya.
The best thing would probably be to let him try the 11.75 and the 12. See which one he is more comfortable with. I’ve always preferred smaller gloves whereas others prefer larger gloves.

I guess it really boils down to his preference and how he fields with both.