Glove Size to Fit Your Balance

I’m posting this article after an observation and conversation, at some length, with a man who asked me about his son’s discomfort while throwing a baseball. In actuality, the boy recently started pitching for his 10-12 club, never had any problems prior to this year, but now all that has changed.

My neighbor called his son out to the backyard and he and his dad had a game of catch. The boy did the normal stuff, nothing fancy. I did notice that he had a brand new glove, a big one at that. In fact at first it looked like a first baseman’s mitt.

As they played catch, I asked about his pregame and post game routines, along with simple stuff like was he being coached by someone off the field.

What caught my eye was his reliance on the glove as a counter weight as he threw harder and harder. His reliance on the glove to act much like a weight on a catapult was overly done more and more. His throwing the ball was replaced by his launching the ball in order to get more and more “pop” behind his releases. After about three or four minutes he started to shrug his shoulders, flex his pitching arm back and forth and rotate his upper arm and elbow. His last game was a week and half ago with no baseball or throwing since that. Our weather around here didn’t do any foravors for playing baseball.

I stopped the two and asked him to use his father’s 12” glove, just for a coulple of tosses back-n-forth. The boy didn’t throw as hard, but his overall cycle of starting and ending of throwing a baseball went much smoother and without any of the dynamics heretofore.

It was obvious that he boy had depended on gaining velocity by using an oversized glove to add an extra dynamic of geometry to his shoulders and averall body movement. Sure, he could launch a baseball with the best of them – but at a price.

It was apparent that his heavy glove balanced him off, only to add a momentary “umph” to his work. As he continue to use the large heavy glove, his body could not keep up with the lack of selfworth internaly that his muscle structure was currently designed to handle.

When selecting a glove to compliment your pitching, rely on your physical training and practice, not a glove that’s too heavy and awkward to handle.

Good points, Coach. I always preferred smaller gloves… 11-3/4 and 12 inch in college and pro ball. Infielders gloves with a closed web before that actually.

,Hey, Steve, you didn’t get to finish your sentence! I think you had something to say about gloves with a closed web, so I’ll finish for you—I used one for many years, an 11 1/2 with a closed web, the purpose of which was to conceal my grip so neither the batter nor the opposition coaches could see what it was. And it was a good size; I remember how Ed Lopat advised me to use a big enough glove so the other side could not read my grip because some of my pitches had distinctive ones, and I tried a few and found that the 11 1/2 was perfect.

I always tell young pitchers - and their parents - to get light gloves. The glove already creates an imbalance right from the get-go because one hand holds a baseball which is 5oz while the other hand holds a glove which is 1lb or more. And, as a pitcher fatigues, that glove gets even heavier. Then glove-side control goes out the window and pitch control goes down the toilet.