Glove Side Arm

Is it prefered to have the glove side arm action like Roger Clemens does above?

My son takes his lead arm more in a straight line to the target, would changing to this action help him stay closed longer?

tim lincecum has the best glove side arm motion

extend it towards the target until you plant your foot
then bring it back to your chest or side to help you rotate faster

nolan ryan did this both triple digit pitchers

There is no single way for the glove arm to do its thing. Some extend it forward, some sweep it across. What’s important is that the glove still be out front at foot plant and that it stabilize while the chest moves to it. This will provide timing for the back side and help avoid posture issues.

Th glove that the boy has on is oversized for his physique. Get him a second baseman’s glove… not the softball outfielder’s glove that he has now.

A smaller glove will contribute more to his balance management, his stability in the upper portions of his body, and he won’t labor so much during his release and recovery.

In fact, try this:
– take a 3 X 5 index card and have your son hold it in his hand with the 5" length running along the fingers and the thumb holding the 3" width in the palm.
– now go through the same delivery motion that you showed us here and notice the ease of his motion and control of the ball

Bottom line here… he needs a smaller glove. May I suggest a Rawlings Players Series: PL129FB
They are not that expensive, they are durable and rugged, and this size and quality will enhance your son’s learning curve a lot. This series by Rawlings is classified as their 11 inch model. It’s a fine product and a real surprise for a kid to open a gift box and find is very first Rawlings series glove. I would also suggest making the presentation a special event… like after sunday dinner. Then you and your son can have that tradition of a father and son catch in the back yard to put the finishing touch on the experience.

Best wishes for you and your son, together, with the baseball experience.

Coach B.

It is not a softball glove but yes it is big, that is dad’s fault for not wanting to buy a new glove every season.

He does have a smaller glove and as others have said he should use but I have not been able to convince him.

I made him read this tonight and he says he will try it for an inning, it is a start.

Thanks

It’s not unusual for a youngster of that size and proportion to sport a large glove.

In fact, an oversized glove, in many respects, adds a certain degree of confidence and proportional “umph!” to the throw that a lot of kids use in their early stages of play… and especially at the pitcher’s position.

The only problem(s) is, if the youngster has any kind of promise, I mean real talent, he/she doesn’t concentrate on the full body development necessary to absorb and benefit from quality coaching later on because their muscle memory and what they’ve been use to, bucks heads with the direction and suggestions of real time coaching.

Here’s the thing in a nutshell. An oversized glove helps a youngster balance off the Load Demands placed on throwing side of the upper body… hence, the oversized glove acts as counterweight… right along the shoulder line… from one outstretched arm (glove side) to the other semi-outstretched arm. (throwing side).

I wouldn’t be surprised if you showed this posting to your son, especially the paragraph above, that he’d say…” yes dad, that’s exactly it!”

Coach B.

[quote=“kelvinp”]tim lincecum has the best glove side arm motion

extend it towards the target until you plant your foot
then bring it back to your chest or side to help you rotate faster

nolan ryan did this both triple digit pitchers[/quote]I hate to pick on you again, but this is simply incorrect. Neither of these pitchers do as you say. They each (and most) have a much more dynamic glove side action. You need to look at video of them, frame by frame to see what they do. Have you even looked at their glove side action in any detail? Your comments indicate to me that you haven’t. I suggest that you do some homework on what advice you’re giving.

The advice you give is very common but does not reflect the reality of what high level, MLB pitchers do. Once again, it appears that you are doing so based on Chris O’Leary’s teachings without actually verifying that it is true.

DM59 is completely correct and this is a very important topic for young pitchers to understand. Correct glove-side action is a literal example of the old saying, “Knowledge is power”.

At the Little League level of baseball you will see pitchers who span the entire spectrum of glove side actions from “no control” (i.e., they may let the glove hand flop loosely to the side at release point) to a more controlled “pull the glove into the body” (this is usually something that kids are told to do by well-meaning but misinformed coaches, or other kids) to a properly controlled “swivel the glove into a stable position somewhere out in front over the stride foot and bring the chest to the glove during release of the ball”. Unfortunately, only a very small percentage of LL pitchers use anything approaching proper glove side action on their own, and only a few percentage more are coached well enough to learn it during LL.

At HS level you will notice that almost none of the “no glove-side control” kids are pitching anymore. In fact, most of them aren’t throwing that way from any of the other positions by HS. It’s not that everybody miraculously learns how to throw well by HS–it is more likely a “natural selection” process, a weeding out that causes kids who cannot throw a baseball properly to pursue other sports where they can be good.

At HS level there are still a fair number of pitchers who “pull the glove” into their body–this is more effective than “no glove control” but it is not the most effective baseball-throwing technique for human anatomy and it does have negative consequences. “Pulling the glove” generates lateral momentum away from the target on the glove side. To get a consistent release point, the pitcher must compensate for that misdirected momentum. Pitchers can obviously do that to some degree, and some can get away with it perhaps through HS, but on average these guys will also be weeded out of pitching at the next level–college or pro ball.

You don’t really even need high speed motion analysis once you know what to look for…but unfortunately, most TV broadcasts only show pitchers from behind, because TV always wants to get the pitcher and hitter into the same field of vision during ABs. Nevertheless, whenever you see a side-view of some elite pitcher’s motion, check out his glove side. You will usually see it swivel into a stable position, somewhere out in front of the pitcher’s body and you will see the pitcher’s body come forward into the release point and meet the glove. Pitchers who do that are directing all of their momentum toward their target. From Walter Johnson to Randy Johnson…that’s what the best do with their glove-side.

:applause: