Glove Repair/Reconditioning

hey guys. Forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place.

Anyways, i have this baseball glove that ive been using for 5/6 years. It’s a pitcher’s best friend for me. If you’re wanting to look at it, it’s the Louisville Omaha Pro OPX1252.

Well, it’s gotten worn, and i don’t want to part with it. Basically, the padding has gotten 4 or 5 tears in it, and it could be relaced, but the leather overall is still in pretty good condition.

So, does anyone know where i could get repaired (I live in St. Louis, Missouri)? Will Louisville slugger take it back and repair for me? I know I would have to pay, not really worried about that. Or will Louisville let me buy the same glove as a custom request?

Thanks in advance.

-Billy

Well they are an extraordinary customer service company (We’ve bought several custom bats from them my son even watched them make his first) so I’d say contact them via there website and see. If not look in the local yellow pages somebody in Mo. does leather repair.

I love Louisville stuff! I’ve got the Dynasty DY1251 12 and a half inch utility. Man does it work great for hiding the ball. That thing can get real wide.
I use Armor -all to clean it. After I get done it looks and smells like the day I bought it.

BTW I checked out your model. Those are cool lookin’! Kind of a vintage look.

Thx guys.

Don’t really know if it is a vintage look, but this glove is like my best friend lol, almost family. Last winter i shoveled snow all day, made 200 dollars to buy a rawlings heart of the hide PRO01000-12P, a gorgeous glove, but when i started using it, it just wasn’t the same. I couldn’t part with my old one, so i went back to it. But now it’s really waring, and i don’t think i could let it go.

The thing i really liked about this glove is the price. Was only $90 when i got it new. I was like a kid in a candy shop that day.

As JD suggested, Louisville is a fine group of people and they’ll probably have an answer for you.

In the meantime, look around for a shoe repair shop. Back when … I use to take my mitts for repair. I had repaired a Nokona - one of my best gloves, and a local shop near my home has had that in for repair once or twice.

Shoemakers (repair) shops deal with leather all the time, different grades, stitch patterns, double-stitch overlays, etc. Check out a local shop near you … perhaps they’ll be just the ticket.

Coach B.

Hey… that’s good to know. I’ve never thought of doing that. There’s a cobbler in my local mall. I’m gonna go have a talk with that guy!

the best book i’ve found on glove maintenance and repair is “a glove affair” written by glove repair experts. there are addresses in the back. they also show you how to maintain your glove for the long haul.

A glove is made of leather - once a living thing. As such, it was treated and processed to remove all of the things that made it supple, flexible and durable as a hide (animal). The manufacturing process for animal skins uses a chemical process … especially for baseball gloves … that targets uniformity with texture, color, and other things that will assist the workability further down the handling chain of manufacturing. The hide also has to have toughness to accept holes punched in it for lacing. Lacing that won’t rip once the lacing process starts and then the glove is used to stop some pretty serious impacts.

Now, to help your glove stay playable as your first line of defense and play-making, here are some suggestions:

> Sand and dirt act like tiny razors. These particles will wear down laces and stitches. Sand and dirt can also dry out your glove and leave it open to dryness and cracks. So, take a clean damp cloth and wipe your glove off before putting it away. Don’t soak it with water, and don’t leave it out in the sun after cleaning.
[b][color=red]

[/color][/b] Saddle Soap is a great conditioner for gloves, but you have to be careful not to soak the laces too much. Only saddle soap your glove once during the season, usually at the end of the season when your putting your glove away.

Use more than one glove during the season. Church rummage sales, tag sales and the like offer a great opportunity to acquire other gloves suitable for play. Rotating the gloves in your possession spreads the wear and tear. Also, and as a side note … check out the adjustments needed by yourself with the feel and play of a different glove. Slight changes in balance, playability and so forth can test your skill level and adaptability.

Glove oil and conditioner should be use sparingly. Don’t soak a glove or mitt with this stuff. These products require some time to “work in” the oil or conditioner so its evenly applied. DON’T GET THIS MATERIAL IN WHERE YOUR HAND GOES. Also, stay away from the laces that joint the fingers and web section.
[color=red][i][i][b]

[/b][/i][/i][/color] After every use, your hand’s sweat and body oil will leave a film on the inside portion of your glove. Sprinkle a light mixture of talcum powder (baby powder) and baking soda in the inside portion and then work the powder in … getting into the finger sections as well. Just don’t over do it. This mixture will absorb the sweat and body oil and the talcum has a small amount of skin conditioner to keep the pocket section supple and flexible.

Don’t wait till your glove needs replacing to re-lace it. When you see a section needs attention - address it. Don’t be shy here about learning what the lacing patterns are. Use the proper equipment especially designed to do the job … a lacing needle and rawhide. Don’t substitute lacing rawhide for other materials. Nylon and other laces can actually cut into the lacing holes on your glove and that’s not good. Rawhide laces are used for a reason … stick with the original intent of the manufacturer’s materials … rawhide.

Finally, and most important … respect the glove that is so much a part of you and this sport of ours. Your glove was once a living thing. Like the baseball itself, the grass on the field, the clay of the skins, the lime or chalk that make up the baselines, the stark white of the pitcher’s rubber, the rosin bag behind the mound, and the canvas bags that makeup the bases. At one time or another, all these things were composed of … or part of… living things. Baseball orbits this. We all use what was given to us that once had life to it, and in some respect … still does. So, a great deal of respect and awareness of what we’re privileged to be part of should focus on respecting the glove that shares equal space with all the rest of our world on the field. An attitude like that can prolong the life of everything that you come in contact with out there.

Coach B.

Dusty, I have that book. It’s kind of outdated now, but nevertheless a great read.