Glove Proportions Vs Player Size

A recent question in another section has promoted me to note a problem that a lot of youngsters encounter during the early stages of play and their learning this art - pitching.

I’ve re-posted the subject from another posting – but I’ve have changed some of the words to fit here.

Glove Proportions Vs Player Size

It’s not unusual for youngsters twelve(12) and under, to use a glove that is larger in size and proportion than should be the case. Glove manufacturers like Rawlings and others have charts suggesting glove sizes based on age, level of play, and so forth. And it’s unfortunate that many kids don’t take advantage of these charts.

Gloves today are very well made. They are basically not that expensive and they’re very durable. Considering the safety aspects of being a kid’s first line of defense - in most cases, the purchase of the right tool for the right job should be a no brainer.

So why do so many kids under the age of twelve(12) do otherwise… even when given the chance to use the right size?

In many cases, an oversized glove adds a certain degree of confidence and proportional “umph!” to the throw that a lot of kids use in their early stages of play… and especially at the pitcher’s position.

The only problem(s) is, if the youngster has any kind of promise, I mean real talent, he/she doesn’t concentrate on the full body development necessary to absorb and benefit from quality coaching later on because their muscle memory and what they’ve been use to, bucks heads with the direction and suggestions of real time coaching.

Here’s the thing in a nutshell. An oversized glove helps a youngster balance off the Load Demands placed on throwing side of the upper body… hence, the oversized glove acts as counterweight… right along the shoulder line… from one outstretched arm (glove side) to the other semi-outstretched arm. (throwing side).

The right sized glove requires a youngster to think more about his/her style of pitchnig, strike location, overall controll issues, etc.

It’s unfortunate that “how hard can I throw” takes the lead here… hence the use of oversize gloves and their dictation on future training.

I have deliberately left out the subject of economics as an issue here. That’s a subject that’s best left to those paying the bills, of which takes center stage over anything that I can suggest here.

Coach B.

Coach B.

I agree this is a good thing - it’s what you want to happen. But, before the load demand even kicks in during the delivery, a heavy glove creates an imbalance because one hand is holding a 5 ounce baseball while the other hand is holding a 16-24 ounce glove. This imbalance often leads young kids to develop the bad habit of dropping the glove or swinging it out to the side. Plus, the glove ends up in a position where it no longer serves as an effective counterweight. Rather, it’s serving more as a boat anchor pulling the front shoulder with it. I much prefer a light glove and keeping the mechanics in order. Maximizing velocity by effectively using the counterweight will come in due time.

Right on the button!