Glove break question

so today i was at my baseball practice and my coach told me to move my glove like there is a string linked with the knee so when the knee lift your hands lift, when your knee goes down your hands go down and you break your hands. now, i learned how to pitch watching my father’s and grandfather’s heroes, sandy koufax, steve carlton, bob feller, gaylord perry etc. and all these guys don’t have that motion at all. i always felt like dropping my arms early helped me getting my pitching arm more loose and more extended because otherwise i will most likely short arm because i feel like i don’t have as much time to bring the ball behind. why do we have to do what they taught me and why pitchers from the past didn’t do it?

It’s alright to take some helpful hints from watching the pros do it, but there is no definite or right way of pitching for everyone. You do whatever it takes to make your arm comfortable. When he wants you to break your hands, he wants you to have your glove in by the time your turning your shoulders for your delivery when your chest is facing the batter. From a side view, this looks like a catapult which launches the ball, making it more comfortable for your pitching arm. Putting it simply, it’s to relieve stress from your pitching arm by having your upper torso in motion and evening out the stress. However, that is what is said. Many pitchers have their own way of pitching that makes them successful. Though they may sometimes seem unorthodox, it helps them gain their preferred amount of velocity, control, and comfort.

Did your coach give you a reason why you should change the timing of the break of your hands?

Some people might need to break a little earlier, some can get away with a little later. The key is getting your arms and legs in unison. However the difference from person to person is arm speed and the length of the arc.

If your arm was either lagging behind or rushing ahead of your body, then I can understand the change. Anytime a coach changes your mechanics, it’s OK to politely ask “why” — and you should be given a reason.

I’m noticing on a lot of these videos Steve has recently put up on the site that a lot of guys bring their gloves down to around the belt after they break, and then swing the glov out and up before rotation.

The Gooden clip is a good example. Pedro does it. Schmidt does it. Clemens does it. Verlander does it.

I’m interested to try this when I get home, b/c I dont’ do it, and I think it might help my timing with regards to starting shoulder rotation too early.

Of course, just cuz those guys do it doesn’t mean it’s best for everyone… Oswalt does not do it. Neither does Wagner.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]I’m noticing on a lot of these videos Steve has recently put up on the site that a lot of guys bring their gloves down to around the belt after they break, and then swing the glov out and up before rotation.

The Gooden clip is a good example. Pedro does it. Schmidt does it. Clemens does it. Verlander does it.

I’m interested to try this when I get home, b/c I dont’ do it, and I think it might help my timing with regards to starting shoulder rotation too early.

Of course, just cuz those guys do it doesn’t mean it’s best for everyone… Oswalt does not do it. Neither does Wagner.[/quote]

helps you swing and rotate your shoulders more powerfully i guess.

Yes that would be the main purpose to create an arc for your delivery.