Glove arm side

I was wondering, how can I use my glove arm the best? I’m used to pull the glove to my chest when throwing. But should my glove be at the same height as my chest, and does it matters what happens with your glove after your delivery? I mean some pitchers end up in a good fielding position and some aren’t.
And it’s hard for me to look at other pitchers mechanics because I can’t really tell what is good at their glove arm side or not.

Could anyone post some nice tips for the glove arm. About the best position for it and the end position.

Mika

There’s been a considerable amount of wisdom passed on about this subject, and if you browse through the topics posted here and in the portion of this web site, I’m sure you’ll find some helpful advice.

For now though, let me suggest a few things about your glove side and you’re your glove side arm.

First, let’s consider your age and build. Depending on your age and physical fitness, you could be developing your strength and tolerance for physical sport in stages - this being the beginning of your testing the waters for a demanding performance, which pitching is, no doubt. If you have the tolerance and stamina to control your glove arm, in a disciplined way, without sacrificing all the other things that allow you to control yourself, then I would suggest slowly but surely try extending your glove arm out, rib cage high, then moving your entire body towards your glove as you progress forward with your delivery. On the other hand, if right now you feel more comfortable tucking your glove hand in … with a curl, before your deliver, then proceed in that way until you can find a coach that can properly explain and show you why the former is far superior.

As your initial remarks suggest … bringing your body to your glove, is the preferred why to manage your glove arm… HOWEVER,… those pitchers that are successful in orchestrating said same, do so without really thinking about it. It just comes naturally do to other things that pre-empt their entire delivery posture - either from the windup or the set.

Ok, so let’s now focus on you specifically. Depending on your physique - slim, average build, stocky, tall and slim, muscular, athletic build,… you’re going to interrupt this glove arm discipline in a certain way. For example, a stocky player who is say, 5" 7" tall, weighing in at about 210 pounds is not going to use his glove arm the same way that a 6’5" pitcher will, weighing in at 210. Your body has a set mechanism that governs movement and balance that either acts naturally or has to be trained in a certain way to overcome some of the give-n-take that your body acts and reacts to. Don’t be fooled by watching the pro’s going through their paces and think that they just picked all this up overnight. It doesn’t work that way.

You should acquire the skills of a pitching coach that has worked with people your age and level of competency.

Also, the surface condition that your pitching off of has a lot to do with your development here. Poor surface conditions will do nothing for your learning curve. So I would suggest finding a level, flat surface first, then go through your paces … easy does it.

Another thing that you might want to consider is the glove itself. A glove that too big for you, flops around, and just seems to be a paddle looking for a canoe, will add some degree of counterweight for really cranking out some speed, but will not instil good delivery posture later on. In fact, some players (younger players 8 - 11) try to use a larger glove to accomplish just that. Don’t. Pitchers usually use a 12" glove for their work. And by the way, starting off with a very light glove can give you the opportunity to concentrate more on your body’s form and sequence of events that support that form then a distraction of feel and weight of a heavy oversized glove.

So to answer your question - sort of, your glove arm can act as a counter balance and a progressive body function that is supported by other things prior to … and after … your stride and glove arm’s part in the delivery process. And depending on your physique and physical fitness, I’d get the actual hands-on advice and live-fire instruction from a pitching coach. He/she will show you the benefits of a variety of glove arm techniques, each with their own plus and minus, again depending on your physique and physical fitness.

Coach B.