Give a Kid Advice: JUCO, DI, DII or DIII

My son is a high school junior pitcher who has recieved interest from several DI’s, local DII’s & DIII’s. He qualifies academically for many NCAA schools, with decent grades.

I have been researching JUCO’s thinking it might be a good option because:
a.) Likelihood that he’ll continue to develop by getting more time on the mound than a DI.
b.) the flexibility that JUCO’s have over NCAA schools for transfers
c.) the ability to be draft eligible every year rather than just as a junior

I’d like to hear some pros and cons for each level…this one decision seems to be an important one and potentially MAKE or BREAK.

Anyone?

juco is the way to go. if you are a talented pitcher, they will offer you a better scholarship than most division 1 schools because they usually have more scholarships and the first priority is pitching. division 1 cuts scholarships up. normally you will get a books and tuition and still have to pay for room and board (typically between 2 and $5000 per year. also unless you are a total freak that got drafted in the first 10 rounds and for some reason unknown to reason didn’t sign, you will probably sit a bunch as a freshman at a d1 unless you are a freak. juco, if you’re good, you will pitch, and pitch a bunch. that is what most guys need. i will encourage my guy to play juco first.

Dusty,

Thank you for the reply and the JUCO recommendations. Since my son is not a freak…at least yet…JUCO remains an attractive option. He is just beginning to fill out his tall frame. His pitching coach is guiding him towards the JUCO while his high school coach thinks DI or DII is the way to go.

Dino

Seems strange that the pitching coach and head coach are not on the same page.

Also, I cant believe that more guys on here havent responded. I would think there are plenty more opinions and experiences out there to share.

Sometimes things sit in these forums… :oops: Dino had some pretty good input over on the mechs forum.
My take is this, grades, ability to deal with the pressure of keeping up the degree program and participate on the team, skill obviously, how well adjusted or adaptable is he to a stressful situation away from his support base…are all in the mix for the decision making process. My boy has the skill for D-1 (As stated by a D-1 coach) but SAT and GPA will make him start out at a Community College (What we call JUCO in Florida) for a year/season. After talking at length with the assistant coach at UNF it becomes clear that at this point, a school or coach that really cares about his future will recommend a plan going forward…based on fit…both for the school and the kid. Transferring up is not a bad thing, but getting in over your head before you are ready can ruin everything. I would say this Dino, what are his top choices? Have him contact them, see if they have a need he can fill, if yes proceed with the process if no move to the next choice. Once you start getting coaches involved you will know rapidly about his skill level, as percieved by the college community and you should be able to discern his academic standing pretty quick…at that point things should become more clear as to how to move forward. I’ve found the theorhetical at this stage doesn’t work…at all, most hear-say is bunk. You actually have to start plugging in variables to get a real life feeling.
Sorry it took me a day or several :smiley:
If Rick hadn’t posted (Curious about the new guy) I may never have seen it as I don’t usually come here often :wink:

There’s alot of good advice on these boards… especially about where to go.

Here’s the thing. There are alot of great opportunities out there. Whether you go Juco, d1 d2 whatever. Playing time is always important. But and this is my opinion based on experience. Don’t be intimidated about going to a d1. It doesn’t mean that your NOT going to play right away. But it will certainly force you to compete and deal with adversity.

If you decide to go to d1, don’t be intimidated! I can’t reiterate that enough. I’ve seen youngsters come in and get frustrated because they may not be good enough to play as a freshman, or they have a pre-emptive thought about not being good enough. That’s ok! You have four years! Enjoy the experience!