Girls Playing Varsity Baseball

What is your opinion as a coach, player, or parent in regards to girls playing varsity high school baseball? How about travel ball?

Boys don’t play varsity softball.

God I always wanted to though. Dropping bombs over that 180 ft fence or whatever they play on.

I remember one travel team had a girl in our area. It always felt like a circus because everyone was trying to spot her or say they shook her hand or something. Honestly, I think it puts coaches, players and parents in an awkward position trying the straddle the fair vs. unfair fence. I’m sure a girl could be very competitive, especially before boys completely mature late in high school, but man it’s just uncomfortable for most involved, all in the name of acceptance and fairness. Not sure if the net gain is there.

Would love to hear other opinions though.

I would have no problem with it from a competitive stand point.
If she could earn her spot, so be it. The odds of her really earning her spot are just not very high however. The reality of physical development in puberty just makes this very difficult.
My sons high school had a girl who lettered in football. She was a kicker. She was certainly accepted by the guys as a member of the team and treated like everyone else.

Every once in a while you get an exceptional female athlete who can compete with the boys. I say, let her do so, if that’s what she wants. As long as she is talented enough to make the team, I have no problem with it.

Boys can’t play softball because even the lesser skilled boys would displace girls from the squad and eliminate the opportunity for these girls to play sports and gain valuable experience that athletics can provide.

Every once in a while you hear of a boy who ends up playing field hockey or something like that. If the other teams don’t protest, go for it, but I don’t personally agree with it.

People don’t often care what I think about such things, so go and do as you want. Just don’t expect to be the person that finally makes me see the error of my ways and change my mind. You don’t have that kind of persuasive skills :wink:

Fearsome, there should be no problem at all. If a girl can cut it, let her play, whatever position she chooses. I played baseball—the real thing—from age 14, and continued well into my 30s, and the guys on the team—all 18 and up—never batted an eyelash because I was getting the batters out with the stuff I threw! I was one of those exasperating, infuriating, crossfiring sidearm pitchers,not much on speed but with a good arsenal of breaking and offspeed stuff and the control and command to go with it, and I won a lot of games and rescued a lot of games and had a blast doing it.

I agree with you Zita.
No problem at all if she can cut it. Very few girls can.

Years ago I took a break from the business and played senior ball. Truth being, the organization I was employed by went belly up.

In any event, our club did an away game in Upper State New York. Beautiful country. When we arrive at the park, I and the other guys parked the cars, our wives got out and set up a small picnic area and we all settled in to a few munchies waiting for the other team.

They arrived and out of one of their cars steps this gal wearing a uniform. She puts on a ball cap, then starts tossing the ball around with the rest of them. I, along with the others on my club, started to joke and poke fun at her - under our breath of course, having a chuckle here and there. Soon, the tone and the decibels got to the point where the gal started to hear us, but made no motion that she did. Then we started to feel a little indignant that this club would put a softballer on the mound against us… not cool, not cool at all.

Well, after seven innings of play (I think) she has us for three up, and three down… just as easy as you please. The lady was no joke, nor was she anyone to be taken lightly. It was only in the eight inning that she was relieved by their third baseman. That’s when we got on the boards, but not enough to make any kind of a showing.

After the game, we lined up for shaking hands. I and the rest of my teammates, greeted the lady - one by one, with hats off, an apology for the rude remarks and the unsportsmanlike conduct.

But that wasn’t the worse of it. All the way back home … I mean all the very long way back home, our wives kept on asking …" honey… was that a woman out there pitching against your guys?"

There was no joy in Mudville that night… nope, no joy at all. So guys… be careful out there.

We had two girls in high school who wanted to play baseball. back then all the girls had was slow pitch softball and these two hated it. Either of them would have been our starting 2nd base “person” and the other could have started in the outfield. Most of our team wanted them to play but the school principal wouldn’t let them. To this day, I still think that the reason was that the principal’s son was our 2nd baseman and either of them would have beaten him out of a starting position. Not that it matters for their playing skills but one of them was a SEC college homecoming queen and the other was an SEC college cheerleader. I played co-ed softball with them after college and they were like having two extra guys on the team(No offense Zita, or the other females on here.),

No problem, magnolia hunter. Incidentally, there’s a book written by Jennifer Ring, a SABR member like myself, called “STOLEN BASES: WHY AMERICAN GIRLS DON’T PLAY BASEBALL”, and it tears the cover off the ball—a brutally revealing expose of the situation. I recently re-read it, and I was every bit as horrified that there are so many old fogies—Luddites—those who firmly believe that girls have no business participating in sports altogether and should stay home and make tea parties for their dolls! And I said a deeply felt prayer of thanks to the baseball gods for the opportunity I had to play real honest-to-gosh baseball way back when—and to one particular pitching coach who helped make it possible.

We have sort of the opposite problem on my son’s team. We have a young man, thin, lithe, smaller, and he has shoulder length blond-ish hair. From the dugout to second where he plays, and with his hat down, it’s hard to tell if he’s a boy or girl. The other teams can often be heard saying how good he is for a girl…then we tell them that they need to check their glasses bc the second baseman is a boy (and a very good one).

Ha.
Nice.
When my son was playing HS basketball he had a teammate who was a boy with hair to about his shoulder blades. His name was Sunshine. You might think that would lead to teasing but that shipped had sailed. Whatever issues there might have been with that had long been resolved. The boys called him Sunshine with no smiles or sarcasm. My son told me Sunshine was a cool guy, but, not one to be messed with.

Fearsome, you just reminded me of an old cartoon I had seen in a newspaper. It showed this couple at a concert by a folk singer. The man asked, “Is that a boy or a girl?”, and the woman (probably his wife) replied “I can’t tell—it’s got a guitar in front of it.” Go figure.

a good boy or a good second baseman? :wink:

He’s a good boy, and a good second base-person :blush: