Getting to the College Level

Here’s my story,

I had a very dissapointing Junior year pitching (far below my coaches and my expecations), and so far haven’t exactly been stellar in Legion over the Summer. I would do anything to play baseball in college and was wondering what my chances are, and how to improve them from now through Senior year. I am going to pick a school based on academics first and then attempt to walk on to the team. The types of schools I am looking at include some Ivy’s and some “little ivy’s” (Amherst, Williams etc.) I think all of the Ivy’s are D1 and some of the others are D3 for the most part.

I am a lefty, 6’0’’, 175lbs (trying to gain weight). I throw anywhere from 77-80 with good movement on my fastball and a promising change and curve. I realize the velocity is going to pose a real issue and I am trying to get that up so any ideas on that would be helpful as well. The change and curve are still works in progress but I am getting more and more comfortable with them everyday. I feel like I have potential becuase of the movement on my fastball but I feel like the velocity isn’t exactly at the college level yet. I started up with the TuffCuff program today and plan to run with that right through my school season but any advice on training programs would be great as well.

I am supossed to attend a showcase in a few weeks at which most of the schools I am interested in will be in attendance. I am somewhat worried that I will be completely overmatched by the other pitchers there but I feel like this may be my one shot to catch a college coach’s attention even in the slightest.

Again, any advice of developing some more velocity as well as the two offspeed pitches would be greatly appreciated and any advice on how to approach this upcoming showcase as well as the process of possibly trying to walk on to a team. I am a very hard worker and can and will do anything that will help increase my chances of playing college ball.

Thanks in advance for all the help,
andrew10043

I don’t know if this would work for you, but I’m in Tempe until middle of August playing in the summer collegiate league here, and I can work with you if you want. We can discuss nutrition and training as well.

I don’t want to speak for Roger, but I know he lives in the Phoenix area and is NPA-Certified. You could PM either or both of us if you wanted to.

Let me know.

• Jake

Jake,

Thanks for the reply - I sent you a PM with some information and questions.

Im not sure if that PM worked … it is still in the “Outbox” and not the “Sentbox” but I sent you an email through the forums as well so hopefully you got one or the other.

Throw long toss every other day, do surgical tube work to strengthen your shoulder, do med ball workouts, do alot of forearm and ab workouts. This is what I do, and it works wonders for me, but everyone is different, and you may not see a lot of gains but you should give it a try. The fact is that people that throw hard, flat out love to throw.

[quote=“NPA Pitcher”]I don’t know if this would work for you, but I’m in Tempe until middle of August playing in the summer collegiate league here, and I can work with you if you want. We can discuss nutrition and training as well.

I don’t want to speak for Roger, but I know he lives in the Phoenix area and is NPA-Certified. You could PM either or both of us if you wanted to.

Let me know.

• Jake[/quote]

Yes, I am here in the Phoenix area but I didn’t see where Andrew was also in the Phoenix area.

[quote=“Roger”][quote=“NPA Pitcher”]I don’t know if this would work for you, but I’m in Tempe until middle of August playing in the summer collegiate league here, and I can work with you if you want. We can discuss nutrition and training as well.

Let me know.

• Jake[/quote]

Yes, I am here in the Phoenix area but I didn’t see where Andrew was also in the Phoenix area.[/quote]

I could have swore it said Phoenix under his name on his original post. Either that, or I’m just plain seeing things…

Nope, unfortunately I’m up in CT …

Anything anyone can throw my way would be appreciated though