Getting rocked

I’m a sophomore in high school. 5’7" 145. I have decent velocity (nothing extraordinary)… but they seem to make great contact and hit it pretty far, or foul tip multiple times, or hit weak grounders. those are split evenly about 33% each… Yes, I do typically throw 2 seam fastballs (don’t think they get much movement though…) Any suggestions? Best way to get more movement on 2seamer(if that’s the problem?) I’ve tried putting more pressure on pointer finger, but seems to only work sometimes, but then when I “try to pronate” I lose some control :frowning:

thanks for replies in advance.

More than likely, the trajectory of your incoming pitch is flat, easily spotted, and plows right through
the swipe path of most batting styles that it faces. In other words, the flight path of your pitch, from
release to about ten feet in front of the plate, is recognized right off and the challenge of - to swipe
-or not, is made easier for the batter.

I have found pitchers of your size do best with junk … you know, stuff that’s hard to pickup right out of the gate.

Got a decent slider, curve ball, split finger, off-speed with lots of deception? If you have a pitching coach he/she
can work on those with you for better results. If you don’t have a pitching coach, at the top of this web page is a topics
bar that’ll give you some great insight into how and when to deliver such pitches.

Best wishes on your baseball experience.

Coach B.

ps
A slider is really in the fastball family of pitches - but, for this post, I’ll consider that pitch part of
the “junk” family of pitches because of your velocity numbers.

I’ve said this many times, but it bears repeating.
Long ago my old pitching coach told me, “Move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside—and change speeds. Stay away from the middle of the plate.” It seems to me that you rely too much on your fast ball, and the batters have taken to looking for it. You need to use your other stuff more, and mix things up. Change the batter’s eye level to further confuse him. (Yesterday C.C. Sabathia did a beautiful job of doing just that with his four pitches.) And forget about trying to pronate this and supinate that and chicken soup the other thing; just throw those pitches you do have. As Satchel Paige once said, "Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move."
Another thing—be sure to get your whole body into the action and not just throw with your arm. Driving off the lower half of your body, using your legs, your hips and your torso in one continuous motion, will give you more power—and more speed—in your pitches and take a lot of pressure off the arm and shoulder so that you’ll be throwing harder and faster with much less effort. That was something I learned a long time ago, and believe me, even though I was a snake-jazz pitcher, my stuff looked faster than it really was.
And be sure to conceal your grip until the last moment because you do NOT want to telegraph your pitches! 8) :baseballpitcher:

Yeah, I understand. I do have a curveball, but I can’t really say I’m the most accurate with it (I honestly rarely get to practice it… I guess I’ll have to find time.) However, won’t I still need my fastball to be somewhat effective? I can’t constantly throw “junk” pitches :/. At my last game when I did try throwing a changeup, that also got rocked. Maybe like you said they can just predict it easy. Any way to fix that? Or am I considered “too small” to do that? god I hope I hit another growth spurt :frowning:

I may be throwing it right over the plate too often, as you said. I did seem to throw “too many” strikes yesterday. lol.

You should definitely work on your off-speed stuff in the bullpen more often. If you can get control of those that will help you a ton. Then you can start reverse pitching, in other words throw off-speed in fastball counts and fastballs in off-speed counts.

In fact if you can locate a breaking pitch (that’s not hanging) in the strike zone, that could be the most effective first pitch of an at bat. Most hitters look for a first pitch fastball and if you stick that breaking pitch in the zone they’ll either let it go because that’s not what they wanted or swing and miss.

Don’t get into patterns though, do that too much and they’ll pick up on it and start hitting your first pitch breaking ball.

Off-speed in fastball counts and vice versa is how I operate. Especially with my knuckler, give them a good dose of off-speed and that fastball will jump on them, trust me my fastball is trash, I call it my cold heat, but when thrown in the right situation I can still pick up a K on it.

exactly my problem… as a sophomore, we don’t really get to throw “bullpen.” We are pretty much animals of the practice. It’s a very, very bad program. While warming up just playing catch, if we do have a bad throw, whole team has to run. Therefore, not a very good time to throw and practice “pitches” im uncomfortable with. :frowning:

Work on them outside of practice, see if you can get a teammate to catch you after practice or on a weekend when you don’t have practice.

Way back when—when I was playing—my pitching coach told me to “throw every day”. He firmly believed that this was the best way to keep the arm loose and flexible and ready to go. So, between starts, I would alternate between just playing catch and doing a bullpen session, and if in a midweek game I had to get in there and do an inning or two of relief that counted as “throwing every day”.
You can do a bullpen session on your own. Get a catcher, and get to an unused playing field, and get with it. Warm up slow and easy at first, then gradually pick up speed, and you can work on a new pitch, refine an existing one, or work on some aspect of your mechanics. My coach—his name was Ed Lopat and he was one of the Yankees’ Big Three rotation of the late 40s to mid-50s—used to get to the ballpark early so he could either get into the bullpen or take the mound and do just that. You don’t need to rely on your team’s schedule. 8)

Location Location Location.

You got it!
I think I mentioned once or twice before—you may have seen it on one of my previous posts—that I used to do this thing when I was a little snip, how I would get a catcher and have him position his mitt in various places while I concentrated on getting the ball into the pocket of the mitt. This is something I recommend to every pitcher who wants to sharpen up his control (which was what we used to call it), I can’t emphasize strongly enough the importance of putting the ball where you want it to go; several pitchers, Satchel Paige among them, have said that “you want to keep the ball as close to the plate and as far away from the bat as possible.” :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher: