Getting Drafted out of high school

has anyone on this site got drafted out of high school or will be getting drafted? how hard is it to do that and what are the odds of getting drafted?

I am still in High School now and I am a Junior and from NYC. Only person that I know of so far that has been drafted straight out of High school is Dellin Batances. (Out of NYC area)

Here is his psal (Public School Athletic League) profile
http://psal.org/psalsports/player/psal_playerprofile.asp?cid=251249660&csport=006

He was drafted by the Yankees pretty late because he only wanted to sign with them, seeing how he was from NYC area. If he wasn’t going to get signed by them he would goto college. Google him for more info. He’s coming up fast! :twisted:

But your question for players straight out of High School, I think that getting noticed is probably the hardest part but most stories I’ve herd is that teams see you but signing is the bigger problem. You don’t get paid much really late in drafts, so most players goto college to fine tune their stuff. And financially it is more stable for them.

I wanst, Im playig in college now. Butttt, i did play against/with a few that did. And it is rly hard. You need to either be insanely talented, or have a heater that gets some serious attention to even get a look. The odds are against us to get drafted outta high school.

why do you ask? you lookin to get drafted outta high school?

MLB scouting for players out of high school is vastly different than scouting for college players. Performance and stats, believe it or not, play very little role in deciding a players value in the draft. Scouts look for tools and projectibility. Pitchibility is passed over for pure stuff when it comes to pitchers.

As a pitcher, which I am assuming you are, unless you are throwing at least 90 mph you are going to have a tough time being drafted regardelss of how polished you are. The more explosive your pitches are the more value you have.

I wanst, Im playig in college now. Butttt, i did play against/with a few that did. And it is rly hard. You need to either be insanely talented, or have a heater that gets some serious attention to even get a look. The odds are against us to get drafted outta high school.

why do you ask? you lookin to get drafted outta high school?[/quote]

i would like to, but i don’t think i will, i was just wondering and because i was reading baseball america and there were a lot of high school prospects near the top of the mock draft

A kid from my rival highschool graduated last year and was drafted in the 34th round he was hitting 88-91 consistently. If you want his name PM me.

The only kid from my area that was drafted out of high school was Jarrod Parker. Like TC said, you probably have to be around 90 mph, unless you have exceptional offspeed and command.

We had a kid go straight to the Royals 2 years ago Billy Butler, I watched him play today against the White Sox. Came out of Bishop Kenny…same school that had Brett Meyers…The kid was a freak…just like Meyers, you had better have body and mental maturity, 162 games a year on top of the travel is tough on veterans.
A school in Central Florida just had a kid drafted. Big news in Deland Fl around July last year.

PROBABILITY OF PLAYING BASEBALL BEYOND HIGH SCHOOL
Statistics show the odds of playing baseball beyond high school are low, especially the percentage of high school players that will make it to the professional ranks.
High School Athletes 455,300
High School Senior Athletes 130,100
NCAA Athletes 25,700
NCAA Freshman Athletes 7,300
NCAA Senior Athletes 5,700
NCAA Athletes Drafted 600
High School to NCAA 5.6%
NCAA to Professional 10.5%
High School to Professional 0.5%

Above cut from www.svpalomino.com

When I was in high school, back in the dark ages, our centerfielder was drafted fairly high right out of high school by the Chicago Cubs. He turned them down and played college ball at the University of Arizona. He hit .769 (that’s not a typo) in high shcool and had a rocket arm from birth. He was also a Golden Spikes Award Winner (Best College baseball player in DI in the nation.) He was drafted by the Montreal Expos out of college and played ten years of pro ball. I rarely saw him hit anything but a line drive even if it turned out to be a home run. His dad was a major league player also. That’s the kind of stuff that gets you to the major leagues. That’s why the .5% seems pretty accurate to me.

I’m just gonna say if you happen to get drafted out of HS don’t do it. Imagine this first pitch in your MLB start at the age of 22 fastball inside and the batter crushes a line drive right back at you you can’t react fast enough and it hits you in the eye breaking your eye socket, after surgery and rehab your team releases you and you can’t get a tryout with another team, but guess what you have no degree so now your working at McDonalds with a salary of 30K so now your life officially sucks. If only you took that scholarship. OHHHH that
sucks.

[quote=“RHP…”]MLB teams do offer college scholarship plans, and are almost always willing to give them out.

I have a fairly good chance to be drafted…how how is the main question. Chances are it will not be high enough to entertain signing and passing up the opportunity to become more polished and add a few more MPH. A few years in college would definitely add some maturity as well.[/quote]

What do u have going for you that makes you so confident you’ll get drafted?

[quote=“jdfromfla”]We had a kid go straight to the Royals 2 years ago Billy Butler, I watched him play today against the White Sox. Came out of Bishop Kenny…same school that had Brett Meyers…The kid was a freak…just like Meyers, you had better have body and mental maturity, 162 games a year on top of the travel is tough on veterans.
A school in Central Florida just had a kid drafted. Big news in Deland Fl around July last year.[/quote]

JD I heard the rookie and A leagues play 140 games a year.

Hose

[quote=“futureKazmir”]I’m just gonna say if you happen to get drafted out of HS don’t do it. Imagine this first pitch in your MLB start at the age of 22 fastball inside and the batter crushes a line drive right back at you you can’t react fast enough and it hits you in the eye breaking your eye socket, after surgery and rehab your team releases you and you can’t get a tryout with another team, but guess what you have no degree so now your working at McDonalds with a salary of 30K so now your life officially stinks. If only you took that scholarship. OHHHH that
stinks.[/quote]

haha…sheesh thats harsh

[quote=“RHP…”][quote=“pitchking807”][quote=“RHP…”]MLB teams do offer college scholarship plans, and are almost always willing to give them out.

I have a fairly good chance to be drafted…how how is the main question. Chances are it will not be high enough to entertain signing and passing up the opportunity to become more polished and add a few more MPH. A few years in college would definitely add some maturity as well.[/quote]

What do u have going for you that makes you so confident you’ll get drafted?[/quote]

The fact that I have had many teams tell me I almost definitely will be?

Read my post again and realize that nowhere did I say I was going to be drafted without a doubt in my mind. Don’t try to make me out to look like a bad guy because we have had disagreements in the past.

Yours truly,[/quote]

That was a real question, i was not being a jackass, nor was i trying to make you look bad. i Actually wanted to know, like “stuff” wise, what do you have going for you?
It was a serious question. Not a smart ass question.

[quote=“futureKazmir”]I’m just gonna say if you happen to get drafted out of HS don’t do it. Imagine this first pitch in your MLB start at the age of 22 fastball inside and the batter crushes a line drive right back at you you can’t react fast enough and it hits you in the eye breaking your eye socket, after surgery and rehab your team releases you and you can’t get a tryout with another team, but guess what you have no degree so now your working at McDonalds with a salary of 30K so now your life officially stinks. If only you took that scholarship. OHHHH that
stinks.[/quote]

Why don’t you just go flip some burgers while we play ball. :roll:

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“futureKazmir”]
I’m just gonna say if you happen to get drafted out of HS don’t do it. Imagine this first pitch in your MLB start at the age of 22 fastball inside and the batter crushes a line drive right back at you you can’t react fast enough and it hits you in the eye breaking your eye socket, after surgery and rehab your team releases you and you can’t get a tryout with another team, but guess what you have no degree so now your working at McDonalds with a salary of 30K so now your life officially stinks. If only you took that scholarship. OHHHH that
stinks. [/quote]

Why don’t you just go flip some burgers while we play ball. :roll:
[/quote]

I’ll take mine with all the toppings please :smiley:

Mike Main came outta our school last year. He was pick number 24 overall. He could hit 96 mph and could’ve been drafted for his ability to play center field as well; Pure athlete.

Well my uncle was neibors with Joe Mauer as a kid and said that it helped getting noticed going to a school known for sports