Getting Down the Mound vs. Keeping Weight Back

Hi all,

I’m working on enhancing my lower body mechanics and I’m having trouble getting to be explosive.

When I try to drive off the rubber and use my leg strength, I find that my weight tends to drift too far forward and my front side can’t be solid at release.

When I try to keep my weight back, I find that I’m too deliberate down the mound and lose velocity by coming open early.

Any tips?

Velocity from Lower Body

Can you post up some video? (preferably from the side and either the front or rear)

Definitely post some video of your mechanics, but medicine ball drills and slide board exercises can help from a non-throwing standpoint.

Sorry this took so long, just threw a pen tonight and have some clips that I think demonstrate what I mean.

This is a pitch where I tried to really drive with my back leg, but I felt like it drove me open and caused me to get my stride foot down way too early.

This is a pitch where I tried to stay back on my back leg, but I feel like there is nothing powerful coming from my legs.

I can’t really break the 82-83 plateau and I think I can be getting a lot more power from my legs. Any tips on how to address my issues would be awesome.

I feel like I can lengthen my stride and really drive into it with my back leg, but I can’t seem to get longer down the mound without coming open too early.

A couple things I would suggest experimenting with…

1. Higher knee lift. In the video, you appear to be using pretty much just a slide step. The longer your front foot stays off the ground, the longer your stride should be.
  2. Extend the glove arm to an “equal & opposite” position with the throwing arm. If you stop the video right at front foot contact, you’ll see your throwing arm extends back more than the glove arm extends forward. The front side is “short” which makes it too quick and that leads to early shoulder rotation and a shorter stride. Extending the glove arm further to equal & opposite makes the glove arm take more time allowing the shoulders to stay closed longer. And while the shoulders are staying closed, the body continues to track forward resulting in a longer stride.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/set%20forward_zps0l94rot5.png

Adding to what Roger mentioned:

• I would suggest bringing your stride leg closer to the pivot leg during your initial set up phase, as in picture ( 1.) By doing so, your ability to start and use your body’s weight and momentum will be increased. You’ll also use the mound’s slope to your advantage better.
  • A higher leg lift in picture( 2 ), as Roger suggested will place the front part of your body’s mass in a better position to use that mass to drive forward. In addition it will allow you to collect yourself without rushing your forward progression.
    -Roger also made a suggestion with your glove arm. In picture ( 3 ), you’ll see how extending your glove arm really helps to balance the top portion of your body, thus offering better stability when your stride foots plants itself.

Finally, here’s the thing about all this - you’ve got to be in pretty good shape to accomplish all this. Your body’s ability to be strong enough - from (2) to (3) is not to be underestimated. And if all that wasn’t enough, that strength has to be there, pitch after pitch after pitch after pitch.

Agree with the above advice. Holding that glove arm in a power position will help you step out further increasing your rear leg extension. Also hold those shoulders back until the hips pull them.

Without being able to slow things down its hard to tell but there are a couple of things first your thinking to much. Also what couch baker said bring your lead leg closer to your back leg. Also try standing tall and try keeping your front should closed longer. Another thing I noticed your not getting into your power angle which is due to you pitching over your front knee. One more thing one of the most important leg part for a pitcher for power is also overlooked is strong but very flexible hamstrings are you doing the proper exercise and stretching for them. A really good stretch for them is done with bands . Just relax and don’t overthink it it will come