General Thoughts

Newbie here, but not to baseball.

I’m not really qualified to write a book on any of this, but I’ve followed baseball for years; pitching for only a little less. I’ve had coaching opportunities, but my schedule at those times didn’t allow for it.

With that disclaimer out of the way, I want to share my general thoughts about pitching and pitching mechanics:

• There are different body types and throws made from those varying bodies. If you’re scrawny like Greg Maddux, or tubby like David Wells, don’t feel like you have to throw like you’re Randy Johnson. Throw however is comfortable for you. You can adjust little pieces later. (In fact, I’m not sure I’d ever recommend throwing like Randy Johnson. But hey, it worked for him. But his whip-like delivery has taken its toll on his back. And if you look like David Wells, you should probably run some more foul poles. And if you look like Greg Maddux, don’t skip any meals. Unless you are Greg Maddux. And then you can do whatever you want, because you’re pretty much the best pitcher of the modern era (with due respect to Pedro Martinez and Roger “B12” Clemens).)

• The overhand throwing motion is tough on elbows and shoulders. You’re asking the shoulder to rotate downward at over 4000 RPM (in the fastest pitchers), and almost instantaneously decelerate. So a newcomer to pitching is already heading down a dark alley, hoping he doesn’t get mugged by Tommy John or knifed by Dr. James Andrews on the way to Cooperstown. But don’t give up hope, just be aware that it’s a tough road where pain is inevitable, but manageable. I guess that’s like a lot of things in life.

• Lastly, I’ll shut the heck up and say KISS: Keep It Simple, Silly. Keep things linear (straight). Keep your momentum and movements direct to home plate as much as possible in your delivery. The mound is 10 inches high and slopes downward toward home plate. Take advantage of the “free” fall and resultant momentum on your drive home.

“There are 3 tiers of pitchers: Those who throw strikes, those who throw low strikes, and those that throw low strikes on the corners.”

I like this a lot. Shows some great steps for youngsters. Oh and nice introduction post. :smiley:

To ricobert1: Welcome aboard! Great post, and you make some excellent points. Pitchers do indeed have different body types, not to mention different arm slots, and the important thing is to find what is comfortable, what works, and stick with it. I used to pitch, many moons ago (I’m 73 now and my playing days are way behind me), but I was a
righthanded 5’4’’ shrimp with very little strike zone so I got a lot of walks when I came to bat! I threw sidearm, and my release point was consistent, and I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of so I had to go to the breaking stuff early on and become a snake-jazzer—and a good one.
What gets my goat, more so than anything else, is the way coaches and others who know better keep trying to change a pitcher’s delivery for any one of a hundred different reasons. As you peruse the different posts on these boards you’ll see this time and again—a kid, or even a more experienced pitcher, being forced to change his delivery, most often being told to “throw over the top” because a parent or a coach wants it that way in spite of the fact that this may not be the kid’s natural motion. You’ll see a lot of them losing interest, giving up on the game, because they’ve been forced to use a delivery that’s not comfortable for
them. I was very lucky indeed—I had a pitching coach, an active major-league pitcher who doubled as an extra pitching coach for his team, who firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion and who showed me how to take full advantage of mine, who taught me some very interesting breaking pitches and helped me refine certain aspects of my mechanics. Somehow I have a feeling that you were in a similar situation. In any event—again, welcome aboard. It’ll be nice to hear from you now and again. :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

first of all ricobert1 welcome. your post is pretty funny and has a interesting take on mechanics. however i do see some problems. at one point you say that you should throw the way that is comfortable for yourself and then you go on saying that you shouldnt throw overhand. also you say the fastest pitchers who throw overhand rotate there arms a 4000 rpms dont pitchers who throw side arm and submarine also have to rotate there arms at 4000 rpms to get the same velocity as the over hand throwers. also why would you want to keep all your mechanics linear when you get 80% of your velocity from rotation and only 20% linear movements.
however i do agree with you on momentum