General frustration that is pitching mechanics

So, I’ve been pitching for some years now. I’ve tried many different approaches over the years.

Many of these approaches came from thus site or other resources on the web, at the library, or questioning athletes in person.

But the matter of fact us I just can’t get it for some reason.
The hardest part of it has been creating hip and shoulder separation. I’ve tried the glove side arm thumb down pointing at third base theory. Nothing

I’ve tried opening hips faster by

1. Pushing
  2. Gliding
    3 sweeping front leg
  3. Driving back knee down.
  4. Literally just collapsing

While still trying to hold my shoulders back.
Everyone I feel I break through, I record it on camera to see that I still have no separation at all.
It’s been a very frustrating couple of years.

I come to you here, cause pitching camps are just so much money. I don’t mean to come off as a whiner but it’s 1 am and I’m throwing baseball mercilessly at a fence that’s probably done nothing wrong in its lifetime

Thanks

What? Nobody ever told you about THE SECRET??? Well, let me be the first.
THE SECRET, which I learned many moons ago from watching how three Yankee pitchers did it, involves getting your whole body into the act of pitching. I used to go to the old Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I watched those guys, and I saw what they were doing and how they were doing it. They were all driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and seamless) motion, creating a nonstop flow of energy all the way up through the shoulders and arms to the fingertips and thus generating more power behind their pitches—thus, not only throwing harder and faster (even Ed Lopat who was not a fireballer) but also taking a lot of pressure off said shoulders and arms so that those extremities seemed to be just going along for the ride. I saw this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own, and as I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found I was doing the same thing they were. Even though I was no fireballer I was throwing harder and faster with less effort—and nary a sore arm or a sore elbow or a sore shoulder or a sore anything else!
The best way to get started on this is with something called the “Hershiser” drill—you can look it up on this website or the NPA for instructions on how to perform it. There’s no special equipment needed, just a fence or a wall, and the whole aim of this drill is to get your hips fully involved in the process. You see, the hips are the center of it all, the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body, and this is something a lot of batters don’t know—the lower half is the real key to a pitcher’s power. Once this connection is established, a lot of other things will fall into place. One thing—you might want to get together with a good pitching coach, preferably high minors or even major league, to work with you on this and a few other things—and your “general frustration” will cease to exist. That was what I did for several things; the aforementioned Mr. Lopat, who besides being one of the Yankees’ aces doubled as an extra pitching coach for the team, helped me refine them and expanded my repertoire. One more thing—I don’t know what your arm slot is, but if by any chance you can throw sidearm you might do well to pick up the crossfire—it will give you extra pitches with less effort.
And there it is. Best of luck, and greetings from the Goddess of the Slider. (smile)

I appreciate you reply zita, but can you please be a little more descriptive? The secret was throwing with the entire body?

I get most of everyone’s mindset, i just don’t know what the feel would be. When I think I feel the shoulders see rating from the hips, I look back at the video and see none .

And that is why I emphasized the importance of working with a good pitching coach who can help you. You’re still too wrapped up in the minutiae of the mechanics,and you need to let go of that and just work on getting your whole body into the action. Are you by any chance one of those over-the-top or high 3/4 pitchers? that could be part of your problem, and you might want to take a good look at that aspect of it. Perhaps a change in your arm angle…and don’t worry, I’m a bump on a log, not going anywhere. I’m listening.

Pitching coaches just cost money that I don’t have at the moment. I’d love to have a quality pitching coach.

As far as my arm slot it’s somewhere between 3/4 and sidearm.

Post some video so we can confirm you have no (or little) separation and can look for the cause.

Not sure where you got this list…it’s not from this site. We regularly see most of these as faults and not desired actions. 3,4,5 are things I have people avoid at all cost.

sweeping often leads to opening up the front side early and most people have to slow down their arm to compensate.
driving the back knee down or collapsing directs energy into the ground that should be moving toward the plate and forces the pitcher to re-direct toward home. remember any direction change requires diversion of momentum and sometimes a total stop. it’s simple physics.

Well 3 was from some posts by laflippin and xv84 on my search through this forum.

4 and five was just frustration from trying to get the hips to rotate faster.

I spent most of last night (up until four am) throwing and looking up research on what I can do.

I found some old setpro info and other useful info and some of lankylefty’s old blog (tried to reach out to him) and it stated that there isn’t really a push or pull but it’s shoving the front the hip into the back and that gets you going. I tried to outside and was finally able to keep my front hip closed off until landing.

But when it came to initiating hip rotation I still had know idea and it showed in the video that my hips were closed off but still no hip shoulder separation or forearm lay back.

"Post some video so we can confirm you have no (or little) separation and can look for the cause.

How do I do that?

Get hold of a digital video camera or even a smart phone that can shoot video. Shoot some video. Hook your camera up to your computer using a USB cable. Upload the video to your computer and then to some video hosting site (like YouTube). Finally, post here a link to the video on the hosting.

Best way to get a hold of Lanky is through his site tread athletics and their social media.

Thank you very much wales.

I’ll try to reach out to him

Think about hitting…you have to use your back leg to power your swing/ your arm, through the zone. That’s where your velocity comes from and ultimately where great pitchers rely on to make pitches. Stay back on your back leg (I always tell my kids to keep their head over their back leg) drive the hips forward and let your body take over…it’s not an exact science but you have to let your body take over and let your brain go numb. Your worst enemy is your own self!

Thanks for the reply mpeterson.

I can understand over analyzing. I think it’s a result of frustration to what one is or isn’t getting results wise. I definitely drowned in the pool of cues and phrases that people would describe high velocity throwers doing.

I did get in touch with lanky lefty and we had a very mind opening conversation so far. We’re going to stay in contact in the future and that really helps.

One thing I’ve learned so far is that a .gif can speak a million words. Whether those words are correct is extremely important because you can see a pitcher doing whatever it is you think he’s doing. For example, if you want to Lincecum push, then that’s what you see. If you want to see him sweep, then that’s what you see, etc.

All you can do is try to reach out to the fastest throwers you can find and question everything if their willing