General baseball team question

do you have anyone or do you know if your coach would let a pitcher play in his team if he had to go to work before the end of the game or if he couldn’t be there at the beginning of the game because of work?

I don’t think they would allow that during the season. Perhaps during summer ball or winter ball.

Yup were i come from that doesnt cut it either your there or your not at all. Summer ball is adifferent story though

My son will have to sit out the next game because he’s going to miss part of a practice to go see the doctor about a baseball related injury.

that’s complete bullshit. people like that shouldn’t have the right to coach a team.

Note to CADad: Happens all the time in the major leagues. A pitcher has to leave the game because his wife has gone into labor in the hospital, or he’s taken out because of an injury—I’ve seen plenty of that. And it’s been known to happen in the lower levels of the game, for one reason or another. Let me tell you about the day I got into a game for one of those reasons.
It was the summer of 1949, and the Yankees were on the road, so I went out for a walk. Wouldn’t you know it, I wound up heading for the Stadium, and I detoured to one of two large parks near there—Macombs Dam Park and Mullaly Park, both of which have since been swallowed up by the construction of the new field. Anyway, I was walking past one of the playing fields, and I stopped to watch two teams getting ready to start a game. I watched for a while as they were throwing the ball around the infield, and then the third baseman on one of the teams threw wild and the ball came skittering in my direction. I picked it up—and then, I don’t know what got into me; I went into the full windup and threw a curve in the direction of the team’s catcher. He caught it, but instead of throwing it back to one of the infielders he jumped up and came running over to where I was standing, and he wanted to know what was that I had just thrown!
I shrugged and said, “Oh, that? Just a curve ball.” He was flabbergasted and exploded, “What do you mean, just a curve ball? That was a damned good one! What else have you got?” Now, I was not what one could call fast, but I did have a few pitches I had been working on, and I started to enumerate them when the manager of the team came up and wanted to know if I could stick around and pitch a couple of innings later in the game—his starting pitcher had to leave at the end of the sixth inning to go to work. (The players on that team were all 18 and older, and I was a 14-year-old little snip of a 5’4", 125-pound, righthanded sidearmer.) So I said, "Sure, just let me borrow a glove."
Well, I got into the game in the seventh inning, and I pitched three scoreless innings, and in the eighth inning I walked and scored on the next batter’s triple. We won 5-2, and next thing I knew the manager was asking me if I would like to play regularly with them. I was delighted, and so began two decades of pitching for a team that might have been called semipro if everyone had gotten paid.
As to a kid being penalized by being forced to sit out a game because he had to leave to see a doctor about a baseball-related injury—that was uncalled for. 8)

There are situations that warrant some consideration due to circumstances, but then that would depend on the prevailing winds at the time.

For example, in the farm belt, help on the family farm is a kind of a way of life and some coaches that I’ve known from that area have made exceptions to accommodate certain times during the year. On the other hand, being up front with a group with the “total commitment” thing has its rightful place. Being aware of the ground rules in the beginning does clear the air and crying foul later just doesn’t cut it.

I’ve had players who’ve had situations when I coached a 17-18 age group and I made arrangements to manage around certain things because of it. I’ve had youngsters with part time jobs that would sometimes interfere with the club’s itinerary - but then, I know what’s it like to carry the load for a family when things get a little tough. On the other hand, a part time job for “jingle-jingle” of pocket change for Saturday night out with the gang, didn’t fly with me one bit.

Here’s been my experience - I was with one club were the young men had an opportunity to take their skills to a new level and beyond - some, way beyond. I was there for their experience, not mine, not the boasters, not the sponsors, and certainly not for a few over zealous families.
Flexibility was the environment - all the way to the playoffs. It worked there.

However, two years later, with another 17-18 age club, it was a different story. Total commitment, 100% your mine, we don’t have a discussion here. Everyone signed on up front to be there. Everyone knew that the only way to compete was to be an active roster all the time. We had five coaches, no smiles, no giggles, game time 24/7. It was not fun… it was business. Cold, hard nose ball. In fact, for a club of 17-18 year olds to function on all cylinders, and nobody really talked or even liked each other, was a first for me. Errors on the field, regardless how small, were not greeted with any symphony upon returning to the dugout. That was the last time I coached at that level.

So, depending on the prevailing winds of the overall environment that you’re in, I guess it can go either way.

Coach B.