Gatorade

Does Gatorade really help your performance?

Yes, in the sense that it hydrates, replenishes electrolytes, and contains carbohydrates, which are a ready source of energy.

So Gatorade is better than water?

Gatorade also has a lot of sugar. I don’t believe you need to replenish electrolytes until after you’ve worked up a good sweat. I always recommend drinking water before your performance and then alternating between water and a sports drink during your performance.

The product does do much of what it says it does, and on very hot days with a lot of physical work - it’s refreshing, no doubt about it.

Also … a little bit of info that might come in handy… I had a 1963 Rambler station wagon that overheated during a drive home from New Jersey. Had five guys, plus some gear - bats, bags, first aid stuff, etc. We just about made it to the Connecticut line when the ole gal overheated. So, we emptied two cases of the stuff into the radiator over the remainder of the trip. Worked pretty good come to think about it. But, I was pressing my luck with a partially blown head gasket, so the exhaust did smell like fruit punch. So, either way … drink it, … you or your 63 Rambler… does the trick.

Coach B.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]The product does do much of what it says it does, and on very hot days with a lot of physical work - it’s refreshing, no doubt about it.

Also … a little bit of info that might come in handy… I had a 1963 Rambler station wagon that overheated during a drive home from New Jersey. Had five guys, plus some gear - bats, bags, first aid stuff, etc. We just about made it to the Connecticut line when the ole gal overheated. So, we emptied two cases of the stuff into the radiator over the remainder of the trip. Worked pretty good come to think about it. But, I was pressing my luck with a partially blown head gasket, so the exhaust did smell like fruit punch. So, either way … drink it, … you or your 63 Rambler… does the trick.

Coach B.[/quote]

So are you saying that of we want our Little League kids to make it to the Major Leagues, we should buy them a '63 Rambler?

:smiley:

It depends.

Before a game or practice, you should hydrate well, and that means drinking plenty of water at least one or two hours before you head out. Drinking water when you arrive at the field does not give your body enough time to complete full cellular hydration, that is, hydration of the cells. All it does is wet your tongue and fills your stomach and gives you a sense of being hydrated.

During a game or practice, you may need to replenish not just lost water but lost electrolytes. More, you may need carbohydrates to boost your energy. It is here that a sport drink will be better than water, as it will do it all.

Oh absolutely… without question. That Rambler of mine lasted two full seasons … got dinged and dented by I don’t know how man BP balls, wild throws, equipment bags, and even had our club’s bus backed into it. Still ran. And for a while there, our team mascot stored his costume in it. So see, good things just seemed to gravitate to stuff like that.

In fact, there were scouts (MLB) that use to graze our field from time to time and a point of conversation was my two tone station wagon - a egg shell white on the top and a Arizona rust red along the rocker panels. I even had forced air ventilation - a fan mounded on the all metal dash that plugged into the cigarette liter.

So,… yes sir-eeee … gonna make to the Bigs … start off on the right foot ( or left…) get your kid a 63 Rambler Station Wagon … equip it will all the goodies … include a case of duct-tape, a life time of gift certificates to Western Auto, and the little kiddo will be off and running . ( more off than anything) But heck, ya only go around once so go in style…

Coach B.