Game Video

Here is the first inning game video of me in one of my last high school games. The angle isn’t the best, but feel free to leave comments and advice.

Oh and if you hear them make Santa Clause comments thats because I have a white beard. Enjoy!

Santa got curveballs fo days!!! But you looked pretty solid mechanically. How big are you and how hard do you throw?

I’m 5’10" and about 185 lbs. I sit about 83-84 and can get it up to 87

Well other than getting bigger and stronger one thing you can use is a faster tempo. You look pretty smooth but I don’t see the intent to “throw the s***” out of the ball. Some other angles would help as well.

Well that was sure a nice inning, but here’s where I have problems with “long-distance-analysis”. Everyone looks pretty good when they’re getting outs as a pitcher or hitting the ball hard as a hitter. What like to see is a wider variety of results so I can see what’s going on in a wider variety of situations.

The reasons are simple. It’s a lot easier to learn from failure than from success, and you may well do fine mechanically when no one’s on, but have problems when there are runners. So, getting a look at an inning where you had some trouble would be more telling for me. Also, without at least some basic stats, in depth stats of course being preferable, for me its difficult to come to many conclusions.

irunSTL mentioned something I noticed right away myself, tempo. Its impossible to say what tempo is “right” for any given pitcher because situations change from pitch to pitch. Just out of curiosity, I ran that inning through my program to see if the perception matched the reality.

Here’s the times between pitches that inning.

22.4-15.2-21.7-18.6
22.5-12.4-17.2-14.4
26.2-15.4-16.3-15.6

When I looked to see if there was any reason for what looked like a slow tempo, I saw something I’ve seen a lot where signs are coming in from the bench. The pitcher, you, are on the rubber and totally ready to get the sign and deliver a pitch, but the catcher is looking over at the bench to get that sign.

I won’t try to say that there’s a lot of time involved or wasted because time is relative. Forgetting the 1st pitch, the other pitches took a total of 146.8 seconds, give or take a few hundredths of a second. That’s 16.3 seconds per pitch. If it only takes 1 second per pitch to get that sign, that increases the time per pitch over 6%. In day to day time, that’s insignificant, but we’re not talking about regular time here.

We’re talking about how a pitch is perceived by a batter, relative to the pitch before it, and a 6% time increase can be very detrimental to a pitcher, especially if he’s counting on some form of deception. Now if all a pitcher is going to throw is 1 velocity, then of course the longer between pitches the better for him, but I don’t know of many pitchers who throw only 1 pitch at 1 velocity.

Unfortunately, while the best way to reduce that “wasted” time is to just let the catcher call the signals, that ain’t gonna happen very often. That time can be reduced by having the coach ready to give the sign sooner, but don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen either. Assuming no one else is gonna change for you, you can do something that might help just a bit. Rather than getting set and waiting, hesitate getting on the rubber and ready just a breath. The actual time won’t be reduced, but your personal tempo will be quicker.

scorekeeper,

That was some very interesting information and frankly, something that I had never stopped to think about. I never thought about how my time between pitches and the tempo of the game can effect the outcome. It is certainly something that I will try to work on and bring to my next start. Thank you.

I will also post another video where runners get on base. My first video was simply the first inning of the game so I just chose it for that reason.

the_K_king#2,

Isn’t it interesting learn there’s always something new you can find out about the game. :wink:

Here’s a link to a report I do for our pitchers. The 1st page is you, the 2nd page is our V for the last 2 seasons, and the 3rd is our incoming Fr summer team.

http://www.infosports.com/scorekeeper/images/pitchtimes1.pdf

CAUTION! While it is based on what took place and can give one lots to think about, don’t make any major changes to what you do based on it alone! Things like someone needing to chase a foul ball or pickoff attempts can really affect the times, and with such a small sample the effect is even greater.

We’ve only been able to look at this stuff for a couple years now, so I can’t speak in too much depth, but I can do this. We had a boy last season who other than being left handed, sounds a lot like you. His name is Stilwell. Those numbers are from his Sr season where he was all-everything in the area. The kid right after him, Gomez, has pitched 2 V seasons for us and will likely be another monster in the area. 5’8”/165 LHP with 2 great pitches and cruises at 83-84 right now.

In general I can say this, the pitchers who are in the 4-5 second difference range are by far our “best” pitchers. I wish I could say if there was any correlation between “success” and time between pitches, but this data is so new I haven’t had a lot of time to investigate yet. That’s the thing all this new data causes. It takes time to figger out how to use it. :slight_smile: