Gaining Velocity And keeping arm strength

Hey guys whats up. Okay so i am throwing 80mph. I want to gain some MPH. I also know how important control is to.

I need to know how many times a week should i be doing long toss and how many times a week can i throw a bull pen(after i throw my bullpen how many miles should i run on my tredmill) or do you only run after you throw like a 100 pitch start. Because you only want to run once a week, usually after your pitching start to get lactic acid out. Because you want fast twitch muscles. LIke doing sprints.

Is it also okay if i do this on top of that

Monday, Wednesday, Friday- leg strengthening
Tuesday thursday- core and back strengthening.
Iknow you should do heavy weights in the offseason. But i want to do it in the in season. It should be okay right. And i will continue to do this through out the fall and winter as well. Usually i never strengthen my legs. I just run on the tredmill. So would this be okay.

Because i noticed when i did leg strengthening that the next day my legs were extremely sore. And i lost like 4

I feel as though there are hundreds of threads already on this, and you could get an instant answer just by looking it up.

I know for a fact whoever told you that you should only run once a week is wrong. Your body can deal with the lactic acid no matter how much you build up. You should be running as much as you can.

Also there is no time when you should do “heavy” weights. You are not trying to bulk up, you are trying to get stronger. If you know how to work out, you can easily do that without ever lifting a single weight. Of course some weights are nice, but stay away from the leg extension and leg curl machines, they are absolutely tragic to the legs and will give you alot of knee problems.

If you did alot of leg strengthening and your legs were tired the next day, you didnt lose 4 because you worked out… You lost 4 because you havent worked out enough. You should be able to lift and still throw the same… I used to work out, and instantly after still be able to paint 90…

ya okay thanks. Ya i am new to the whole leg strengthening, with heavy weights. So it might take a couple of weeks to get use to.

ya i don’t use any machines for leg strengthening because i don’t own any. I usually do lunches, squats, and calf raises. I use 55pound dumbells on each hand and i have 30pounds in a backpack to add on extra weight.

So is that good.

If i pitch a 30-50pitch bullpen should i run the same day or the next day and if so how long do i run? I do a bullpen tuesday and thursday.

Ya my friend told me that you should only run once a week, because you want fast twitch muscles.

[quote=“Sunsetblud”]I feel as though there are hundreds of threads already on this, and you could get an instant answer just by looking it up.

I know for a fact whoever told you that you should only run once a week is wrong. Your body can deal with the lactic acid no matter how much you build up. You should be running as much as you can.

Also there is no time when you should do “heavy” weights. You are not trying to bulk up, you are trying to get stronger. If you know how to work out, you can easily do that without ever lifting a single weight. Of course some weights are nice, but stay away from the leg extension and leg curl machines, they are absolutely tragic to the legs and will give you alot of knee problems.

If you did alot of leg strengthening and your legs were tired the next day, you didnt lose 4 because you worked out… You lost 4 because you havent worked out enough. You should be able to lift and still throw the same… I used to work out, and instantly after still be able to paint 90…[/quote]

You need to clarify the running part. Running long distance more than once a week can break down fast twitch muscle which lead to a decrease in velocity.

Sprints 3 times a week on the other hand is fine. With a flush run after pitching.

ya thats what i meant. LIke running like lets say 3-4miles every other day is bad. But running sprints every day is very good.

But ya is it okay for me to run sprints every day. And maybe run a 3-4mile run only on monday. After my pitching start on either saturday or sunday.

I am doing about 150pound lunges, 160 pound squats, and 160 calf raises, i also do 180 dead lifts, but those are for my back.
When i first started pitching off the mound i hit 80mph. BUt then i have pitched hard 6 days in a row. DUMB I KNOW. But its like impossible for me to go out and not throw hard. LIke i don’t want to take a break, but want can i do instead of pitching every day. LIke is LONG TOSS okay to do one day and then pitching a bull pen the next day. Please i need help. I pitched 6 days in a row and my velocity dropped. I hit 80mph a few pitches. Every other pitch was 75mph and my arm hurt. I am going to take a 4 day rest starting today. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO EVERY DAY OTHER THAN PITCHING.

Also i am 5’10, 170 pounds also

gb

I’d say If you feel good when you warm up-throw like a normal rested start you should be okay, obviously don’t overdo it just throw at least for accuracy and maybe throw a couple pitches form the flat, I try to longtoss everyday, I definitely throw everyday, I think that if you throw more often and like you would in a game it becomes natural and your body will naturally allow for a routine which involves more throwing hence more training but obviously if your arms sore just stretch and do LOTS of band work they are very good and I find help the recovery period they strengthen and stretch very good

hey thanks. hey do you know any band work that i can do. like specific band work and stuff like that.

Damn you throw every day.

ya at the start of the season(well in march) i long tossed every day. My arm felt good for about 4 days in a row then it hurt os ya.

But ya what are some specific band work to do and how old r u dude and how fast do you pitch bro.

The thread has gone a few directions. But legs 3 times a week is too much in season. Pros lift upper twice and lower twice. One of the 2 upper body workouts is heavy (heavier weight, less reps) and the other is endurance (lighter, more reps). Same with lower – one is heavy and one is endurance.

Ive only been seriously working out for about a month now. I bought some Dick Mills videos and follow that workout plan. I don’t even touch weights at the moment. I am just working with bands and core strengthening after i get off of work in the afternoon. I run sprint in the mornings and i am not using a treadmill, i hate treadmills. I am doing an 1/8 of a mile full sprint, then another 1/8 at a jog, then back to 1/8 mile sprint, back and forth for 2 miles. I am sore everyday haha, i am sure i will get over it sooner or later. Should i be allowing 1 or 2 days a week to recover?

I guarantee you that running long distance more than one week will not decrease velocity. One because you have a set amount of fast and slow twitch muscles, at no time do you “break down” any muscles. Your muscles are also like brain cells where they are stuck in phase G0 and cant get out. This means that they cant divide. So all they can do is get bigger. I dont know where you got the breaking down cells part from. At most you will be gaining endurance. Even in the case where you did break down fast twitch muscles, fast twitch muscles are generally a 10 twitch or so. So after 1 inning they will be tired anyway, so you will be using intermediate twitch for the majority of your pitching anyway. Long distance increases intermediate twitch.

I gained almost 10 mph by rollerblading 20 miles a day in the summer. By fall I was hitting up to 94. I never ran a single spring that entire time. If your philosophy is right, I would have been busting mid-high 90’s… I highly doubt that.

There is no magic work out, there is no guarantee, there is nothing but how you work what you have. I know how to use my body and create huge amounts of torque and angular acceleration. Because of this I can throw hard. I weight 170 lbs and the only workout i ever did was rollerblading.

For any workout that you do, you should be able to do it EVERY DAY for baseball. This is not football where you are busting your ass for a day and then resting a day (well at least thats how they did it in high school). I know if I wanted to I could run 20 miles a day and not even be sore the next day. Your body is a lot better at accommodating stress than all you guys are giving it credit for.