Gain weight

Asking for suggestions to put on some healthy weight;

Here’s my situation, I’m 5’11" still growing :slight_smile: and weigh in at 125lbs MAX
I’m at a ridiculous 7% body fat. There’s plenty of people lower than that, but most are weight lifters or year round runners/sprinters. I do run, but I’m a ballplayer not a runner, and only do it for the conditioning aspect.

I can’t find a good way to put on weight.
I don’t think I ever eat any less than 3000 calories a day.
I’ve been trying a peanut butter sandwich before bed too, but nothing works.
I was gonna do protein shakes but my doctor (has a couple D1 ballplayers for sons) was very much against it saying I would cramp up a lot. Which wouldn’t be good since I try and do baseball work 5 days a week (hitting and/or throwing)

The doctor said to weight lift.
Same day I was also at my physical therapist and asked his suggestions.
He didn’t want me to touch anything with much weight.
He said therabands were the way to go (which I use). But I know those will only tone and not build mass.

At some point I’d like to get to idealy 145-150. 140 or even 135 for this coming spring.

I’ve got pop at the plate, and (from observations of people my age) an above average fastball (excluding those abnormal gianst at 6’2" and 190).
It’s somewhere in the mid to lower 70’s.

I know an extra 20 pounds behind the ball would definately help

All suggestions welcomed,

Thanks in advance

Michael

The joke in my family growing up was “Mass equals gas.” In other words, the bigger and stronger I was, the harder I threw and more successful I was. To some extent, that was true in my pitching career. I threw my hardest at 225 pounds (6’2").

The way to gain weight? Eat 500 more calories a day than you burn. One pound of weight is 3,500 calories. So, if you’re burning 3,300 calories a day, which you very well may be doing at your age, you’ve got to eat 3,800 calories.

At the end of the week, you’ll be up one pound. In a month, it’s four pounds.

That’s the healthy way to do it.

Calorie-dense foods include pasta, rice, peanut butter and nuts, whole grain breads, bananas, all dried fruit like rasins and apricots, fruit juices, 2% milk. You get the point.

5’7 around 160… how am i at this stature? ive got good speed on the fastball but im not sure if ill be growing any taller much :? I also want to get a lil bit bigger but my schedule sometimes gets in the way of being able to eat healthy after a workout… so timing is off…

there is nothing wrong with protein shakes, but you need to drink water and stay well hydrated to prevent the cramps…if your a coke drinking and that’s all you drink then yes you probably will get cramps…drinking alot of water will also help to flush out your kidneys and keep them nice and healthy

toro15, you’ve gotta work around your schedule…that’s no excuse.

If you know you don’t have time to go home and fix something to eat after you workout you can do a handful of things

you can buy some protein powder and a drink shaker…get some water from a fountain, mix it with the protein…and bam you have the protein you need after a workout. Most people will also tell you, you need some carbs and some simple sugar with your protein after a workout…you can have some gatorade with a little snack…you could take a baggie of vegetables for after the gym…some baby carrots, celery…or if you really have no time just take a bagel or a couple of rice cakes

i think a bagel has about 23g of carbs plus a extra 5g of protein to go along with a protein shake

i typically try to go for about 50g of protein after a workout and about 40g of carbs…then i’ll drink maybe 8oz of gatorade just to get a little sugar rush to speed up the protein intake

The way to gain weight? Eat 500 more calories a day than you burn. One pound of weight is 3,500 calories. So, if you’re burning 3,300 calories a day, which you very well may be doing at your age, you’ve got to eat 3,800 calories.

At the end of the week, you’ll be up one pound. In a month, it’s four pounds.

That’s the healthy way to do it.

You are assuming a calorie is a calorie and that if you eat an additional 500 calories from fat that is as healthy as eating those 500 from complex carbs.

This doesn’t take in account your metabolism or heredity either…
Everyone is different and will gain and lose weight differently.

how do you count calories for a homecooked meal like chicken cutlets, with rice nd beans?? and other meals to be eaten durin the day that dun have the ingredients on the side

chachi:
It’s extremely hard to literally count calories, especially if you go through a school lunch line or something. For me I had a general idea of what I ate and didn’t change that, I just added HEALTH calorie loaded snack or two during the day.
I’ve actually been successful gaining weight with a combination of added food and protein, going from 125 to 138 (Mid september to present)
Don’t forget to lift and run while gaining weight or your gonna go back a step before you go forward

wats a good loaded calorie snack, would that be like junk food, or like a protein bar

no junk food, deifnately not

protein bars vary (atleast what I’ve noticed) but you could probably find one
another thing is like peanutbutter on whole wheat anything has excellent calories, with protein.