Gain ground then pick

I can’t remember which game but one of the play-off teams this year (I think the Rockies) executed a p/o with the 1b moving a step as if moving to the fielding position when (Obviously a timing play) the RHP picked to the glove side (Lefty 1b) for a sweep tag…left the runner with it in the dirt…just stunned. I’ve never seen the move before (Though I’m sure it’s been used…seems too daggone logical).
I wrote this, as one you fellows ought to consider adding to the old p’o move arsenal. By the way…If you don’t have more than one move, get several.

I don’t have any, only picked off two kids my entire life and both of them were at second. Any suggestions for moves? I’ve seen some teammates use them and I was gonna try to do them but usually I just get the runner back to first without throwing and then throw to the batter because I don’t really care about the baserunner (even though I should).

Well first do you practice the move? They teach 5 different moves at UNF, 1st, always when someone gets on, just come set and at about 80% go over. This gives you a little feel as to the throw, a little practice…lets you see how the runner is paying attention and is going to react and it lets them know you’re paying attention.
The first move is as you lean in before getting set just on your first move go to first. 2nd is just as your hands touch as you come set, 3rd is your A numba 1 move, come set hold it and go to 1st, 4th is just hold it til someone calls time…this messes up the running game and many times you’ll be able to be tipped that the guy is leaning, 5th is a balk, but seldom if ever called, buckle your front knee and then go. You also can work in the step off and go and the one I mentioned as the gain ground then pick…there ya go, 7 different looks…If you practice with your 1b you can become death to the running game and maybe get yourself an out or two per game. Practice it once or twice a week. Let us know if you have success.

Some great picks JD, I do most of those.

I love doing Pick Circles in practice, we’d pair up and rotate through the various picks for anywhere from 10 to 15 mins. We’d usually incorporate it into P.F.P.'s

Good work guys.

My suggestioin to righties is to hold the baseball. It’s the single best way for righties to effectively minimize the running game. If you change how long you hold the ball when you pitch and when you pick, then it’s going to disrupt the timing and the jump the runner will get. Another move you all should consider especially at the collegiate level is a balk move. It’s a slight break of the left knee and then using the same footwork a quick pick over to first base. If done properly and executed quickly it will lead to some pickoffs.

Lastly, NEVER just have a quick pick that doesn’t include holding the baseball. If you always pick before you come set and hold, then it’ll be a nightmare trying to hold the baserunner. Believe it or not, I see it every year at my level.

“5th is a balk, but seldom if ever called, buckle your front knee and then go”

“Another move you all should consider especially at the collegiate level is a balk move. It’s a slight break of the left knee and then using the same footwork a quick pick over to first base.”

I agree about the quick, but say if you’ve been doing a come set and hold all day, you’ll catch em nappin in the later innings with a first move. As you so masterfully pointed out the biggest thing is keepiing the running game in check (Varying hold etc.)…and stealing an out here and there…heck you seldom see an mlb pick to second…just enough to let em know you got the hairy eye-ball peeled. Many moves and working with your 1b will get you a reputation for stopping the running game and that is so much better than watching them run all over you…unless you are Maddux and don’t care.

Too funny

sorry jd Im blind, I didn’t see you mentioned the balk move.

good topic.

Please…just be thankful you didn’t get some cliche response about brilliant minds thinking alike…Though a pro just verified me in a kind of blind way…works for me! :smiley:
Pay attention Top :smartguy: …usually ya gotta spend money at a clinic to get it from folks trained up in the levels of our art.

I definitely think the long hold, then pick is very effective for catching guys leaning in running situations.

Another way of setting up a runner is to use really quick feet for a pick, but throw to first with a long arm, IOW, it looks like your best move from the waste down, but it will obviously be slower to first. Then you can come back with the same quick feet, but also a quick, short arm path too. This second pick should be a little quicker to first but will look like the same footwork to the runner.